Visits

Yu Qing was walking at a brisk pace down the hall toward her brother's room. There had been a multiple car accident and it had been all hands on deck for almost two hours. She didn't resent the injured needing help but she was worried sick about A'Bin. 

The fiasco in the room had been whispered to her by a nurse who had been present. The nurse had promised she hadn't and wouldn't tell anyone else but the woman had known Yu Bin was her brother. She felt Yu Qing deserved to know. Now, the staff was forbidden entrance unless there was an emergency or until either she or Lan Xichen arrived. No one was willing to face the three police officers inside.

She understood the sentiment. Word of the severely broken arm needing two plates to repair it had spread. No one was naming the patient but it was whispered the slender detective had done it with ease. The nurse had mentioned him specifically in connection with clearing the room. The woman had no doubts if they hadn't left willingly, he would have made them leave. News of the Inspector who had punched Wen Chao hard enough to break his orbital socket and had ordered his men to 'hold it' if the man had to urinate, had also spread like wildfire. And then there was Nie Huaisang.

She wasn't sure what to think of the man. After talking to the admitting doctor, she knew all about Nie Huaisang threatening him. She gave a tiny smirk. That she kind of liked actually. While they had been watching the surgery, she had surreptitiously observed him. He may not know yet, but she'd bet a vacation in the Maldives Nie Huaisang was in love with her brother. His willingness to do anything necessary to protect her brother had her grudgingly giving him a respect she hadn't expected. She would wait and watch. If he treated Yu Bin as well as he protected him, she would give her blessing. If not... her thought trailed off as she quietly opened the hospital room door.

Inside, she saw Nie Huaisang talking on his phone via an ear bud. He was obviously talking about work. She hid a smile as she saw he was gently holding Yu Bin's hand. The handsome Inspector was on the sofa holding a battered child who was sound asleep. Even across the room, she could see the black eye. The split lip. The detective was holding the other patient's hand. They all looked exhausted.

She walked over to Yu Bin and carefully checked his vitals, his IV and examined his hand. They had pinned several of the bones together. When it healed, it would be almost unnoticeable to Yu Bin but while healing, it was frequently painful for patients. She hoped it wouldn't be for him. The swelling was extensive but that was to be expected. Overall, she was pleased with his condition. She looked at Nie Huaisang. His gaze was searching.

"He's doing well." she answered his unspoken question. The news brought a smile to the small man's face.

"Thank you."

She nodded looking at her little brother. He looked so young. Her fingers gently pushed his bangs back from his forehead to give him a kiss. Just as she had when they were children. When she realized Nie Huaisang was watching her with a smile, Yu Qing cleared her throat.

Standing upright, she went to the other patient. His vitals were good as was his color. She delicately examined his incision. A bit of bloody ooze but nothing out of the ordinary. She looked at the detective. He was watching her like a hawk.

"Dr. Yu Qing?" his voice was surprisingly deep.

"Yes, I am Yu Bin's sister. May I know your name?"

"Detective Lan Wangji. Thank you for looking after Wei Ying. How is he?" she noticed his gaze hadn't wavered. She hadn't been aware he was the man's lover.

"Your partner is doing well, Detective." She was surprised when he looked at her startled.

"Your brother is my partner." The man was obviously puzzled.