Strengths

Nie Huisang was diligently working away while glancing regularly at Sizhui. After they started the saline IV, the teen had finally stopped shaking and fallen into a restless sleep.

He knew what the next months held for Wen Sizhui. It wasn't happy or pleasant. All they could do was to settle him somewhere safe and get him therapy to deal with the trauma.

Reminiscing about how those grief-stricken months had run for him, he almost dropped his phone when it went off. A fumbling grab and he accepted the call. Before he could say anything, Jiang Cheng's voice came through loud and clear.

"We got him!" It was a triumphant statement.

A moment of silence.

"We got who?"

"Jin Zixun, of course! Who else?"

Huisang began to smile. It was smug and filled with calculated enjoyment.

'One less evil fucker on the streets...' he sighed to himself in satisfaction. "Does Lan Wangji know yet?"

"No, I thought you would want to tell him personally. I'm going to go tell the guy from Electronic Evidence."

"Okay. I have to wait until I can move the kid. Thanks for letting me borrow your Sergeant by the way. She's an excellent sergeant you have there and -"

Jiang Cheng cut him off with a growl. "You steal my Sergeant and I swear I'll shoot you! Possibly fatally!"

Nie Huaisang started snickering. Jiang Cheng's explosions never failed to amuse him.

"I already tried." There was a strangled sound on the other end of the phone. "But she said no. Guess I'll just have to stick with stealing Yu Bin from you."

Nie Huaisang's grin was ear to ear.

"Who said you could have him?" Jiang Cheng was yelling. "You can't steal my people, damn it, Huaisang!"

"Oops! Gotta go!" The Spider hung up on the still ranting Jiang Cheng. He stood in the hall just so he could let loose and laugh fully.

He couldn't explain why Jiang Cheng's explosions struck him as so funny but they often provided a much needed break from the more serious aspects of police work.

He giggled and wiped his eyes as he mentally replayed the last thing he heard before he hung up the phone.

"I will break your legs, Huaisang! So help me!"
-----

Lan Wangji knocked softly on the door. His brother called, "Come in."

Opening the door, he nodded at Xichen. "Brother."

His gaze shifted to Meng Yao. The man looked anxious. A nervous flicker of his eyes toward Xichen. Reassuring himself he was there before looking at the detective again.

"I apologize, Meng Yao. I had no right to threaten you. I am sorry." Lan Wangji bowed low then looked evenly at Meng Yao. He was sincere.

"Thank you. I can understand in one sense. You - care about Wei Ying but I promise you, I did him no harm." Meng Yao said.

"Wei Ying has assured me of this fact. Thank you for your honesty. May I ask you about the thumb drive?" Lan Wangji was courteous but direct. 

"What would you like to know?"

Lan Wangji pulled up a chair.

"Everything."
-----

Yu Bin pushed himself upright so he could look at the sleeping A'Yuan and Wei Ying. Both had been exhausted by the morning's events. Neither had any physical reserves to handle the ravages of being triggered or stressed.