The Search Warrants

Niu Zhiqiang** was a veteran police officer. He stood in front of the door to Wen Chao's bedroom and sighed. He was not looking forward to this but it was his job and if it helped get that bastard off the streets, he could do it. He had two younger officers with him. Old enough to be experienced and young enough to help move the furniture.

"Okay, let's do this."

He opened the door.

The room was a mess and reeked of stale sex. He couldn't help but cough.

"Let's open a window. We'll start at the bed and work our way out." he almost gagged. How could someone live in all this?

"Yes, sir." Cen Ming** covered his nose and headed toward the window. With a lot of effort, the window finally opened. The air seemed crystal clean in comparison to the stench of the room. Anything was better than the miasma currently clinging to everything.

Hong Yi** took the far side of the bed. They began by carefully shaking the red velveteen bedspread. Two used condoms fell out. Cen Ming gagged.

"When it gets to be too much, we'll take a break. Just don't throw up on anything. It could destroy evidence." Both men nodded at Niu Zhiqiang.

Systematically, the men stripped the bed. Sex toys, lube and a half eaten sandwich were found. The sandwich did in Hong Yi. It had mold on it. He barely made it to the bathroom.

A fifteen minute break later and they were back at it. Together, they lifted the mattress straight up and then put it in the hall way. The three men stared wide-eyed at the box springs before Nie Zhiqiang bellowed down the hallway.

"We need the photographer! Now!"

-----

Liu Tingyu was looking at the photograph of a sullen young man.

"This is the new gardner? Fai Duyi?" she asked.

"Yes, ma'am. Madame hired him. Very unusual. In the past she hasn't cared who was hired as long as they could do the job and didn't annoy her. She brought this man to the house in her own car. Unheard of." Chang Bingwen commented.

Liu Tingyu took a photo of the picture and sent it to the day secretary of the department.

'Please see if this man is in our databases. Currently going by name of Fai Duyi. Most likely an alias. Additional information attached. Thank you.' and the email was sent.

"Is there a room I can use to start talking to your staff?" she asked the butler.

"If you don't mind using this room, it is quiet and comfortable." Chang Bingwen said. "This is actually my office. You'll have easy access to the files if you choose."

"That would be lovely! You are too kind, Chang Bingwen. Your efforts are much appreciated." Liu Tingyu's smile was completely genuine. Chang Bingwen smiled back. It was nice to feel like his efforts had value.

Madame Yu only found fault and screamed when something went wrong even if it had been an accident. The woman was a nightmare but jobs were hard to come by so he did his best and enjoyed a glass of plum wine most nights.

Just to ease the day into perspective of course.

"Come, let's go back to your people. Who is the most timid? They will most likely be uncomfortable waiting." she asked conversationally.

Chang Bingwen marveled at this police officer who cared about people she had never met. It just wasn't a part of his world. Damn, he needed a new job.

"There is a young maid. Mostly cleans. She is usually nervous, anxious. She will be the one most likely to be panicking." he said thoughtfully.