Questions and Answers

Wei Yuan yawned. He was warm and comfortable. His ribs hurt but if he didn't take a deep breath it wasn't too bad. He cracked his eyes open the tiniest bit. There were people. A tall man he didn't know. His aunt and uncle maybe hugging someone. Where was Lan Wangji? Where was Wei Ying? That made him sit up. He was afraid and pulled the blanket closer.

The motion caught Jin Zixuan's eye. He found himself looking at a child who's eyes carried too much fear. He had never seen anything like it and hoped to never see it again.

He spoke softly. "Wei Yuan? I am your Gu-gu's husband, Jin Zixuan. I am your Shushu. Did you sleep well? Are you hungry?" He hadn't moved from his spot on the chair not wanting to spook the boy.

There was a nervous nod. While not sure which question was being answered, Jin Zixuan decided he'd take it as a 'yes' to both questions.

"I'm glad you slept well. Let me tell your Aunt Yanli you are awake." He carefully got out of the chair and moved to his wife's side.

He whispered so all three in the hug could hear. "Wei Yuan is awake and afraid. I think he is hungry but I don't know what else to do."

Jiang Yanli smiled up at her husband. A light kiss on his cheek. "Thank you, my love." She turned her head. "Come, Zhizi! Look who is awake!"

She shifted enough for Wei Yuan to see Wei Ying smiling at him. "Come, A'Yuan." His voice was rough from all the tears and all three of them had red swollen eyes but there was no doubting the welcome in the smiles.

Wei Yuan came closer, dragging his blanket. "Let me put you on the bed, Zhizi." Jiang Cheng told him. "We don't want your ribs to hurt more."

Wei Yuan looked at the man in front of him. Jiang Cheng wasn't a small man. He stood six feet tall with wide shoulders but his eyes were, at the moment, kind. Wei Yuan took a chance. He nodded and lifted his right arm. The left was just too sore with the bruising on his ribs.

Jiang Cheng was delighted and scooped Wei Yuan up with a strong arm under his rump to avoid putting any pressure on his ribs. "Ready?"

Another nod. He was put on the bed facing Wei Ying. He just looked at him for a moment. With so much he wanted to know, he wasn't even sure where or how to start. There were some questions that stood above all the others though. Things he was afraid to ask and desperate to know.

"Did you mean it, Baba**? Am I really yours?" his voice was shaky but he didn't look away from Wei Ying's eyes. He had to know.

Wei Ying nodded and smiled though his lip trembled. "Absolutely, I meant it, Erzi**. Every word."

"Do I have to go back there? With him?"

"Never." Wei Ying's voice was firm.

"Will he hurt me again?" The last question was no more than a thought laid upon wind. It was a plea. A hope so tiny it was at the edge of vanishing.

Will you save me from him?

"No one here will let him hurt you." Wei Ying's voice held truth and something A'Yuan was starving for - belief.

He looked at Wei Ying then turned. Lan Wangji nodded. His face calm and determined. His glance at Jiang Cheng showed a fierce and resolute face. Jiang Yanli laid a gentle hand on his shoulder. She smiled warmly. Over her shoulder, he could see Jin Zixuan who smiled as well.

"We are here for you, A'Yuan." Her voice was soft and loving.

"Can I stay with you?" He asked. His voice a little stronger.

"Of course you will stay with me. You are my son." Wei Ying's eyes were tear filled but his smile was enormous.

A'Yuan looked up and smiled at his Baba for the first time. Wei Ying couldn't help the love that warmed his heart. He had started this less than twelve hours ago. Hoping against hope, he could save this boy from the horror that is Wen Chao. He knew there would be legal requirements that had to be met but what was most important had begun.