Chapter 30 - Near and Far

Summary: Link has an infrequent nightmare. Mila feels lonely at home as Mipha and Link continue to help take care of their new grandson Lanka in North Hyrule. Midon and Sheikah scientist Aldora spend time together in the Faron Region.

It was evening in North Hyrule as Mipha and Link climbed into one of the private slumber pools behind Faray's throne room. The water was fresh and at a perfect temperature, deliberately intended to relax.

"Ah! You can never get too much water time!" exclaimed Link as he sunk into the pool. "Another tiring but exciting day with our cute grandson. He gets bigger every day. But I have to admit my fins are drooping now. He wore me out."

"That's because you're like a little kid, going all out when you play," laughed Mipha.

"But it's so cute when he copies our movements," laughed Link. "I had to keep from bursting out laughing when you made that spiral move, and he spun around."

"All part of his learning, dearest," laughed Mipha. "You didn't get to see those times when I taught our children."

"Yes, I'm sorry I missed it."

"Get some rest now, sweetheart," said Mipha. "We have another busy day with Lanka tomorrow. And it's so wonderful we're a Zora couple now and can enjoy our grandson's underwater experience together. Being married to you as a Zora is a dream come true for me."

"I didn't realize you wanted to marry a Zora so badly," said Link.

"Don't be silly!" laughed Mipha as she caressed his cheek. "I never said that. I wanted to marry you. But you being able to become a Zora is like an unexpected gift, a happiness unlooked for."

"I'm glad too," said Link. "I agree it was the right thing to do."

Then he leaned forward, and they kissed goodnight.

"Love you," said Mipha.

"Love you, too," said Link. "I should tell you more often because you mean everything to me, sweetheart."

"You can never say it too often," laughed Mipha.

Then Link closed his eyes, and after a few moments, he was fast asleep.

"Whoa, boy! There, there," said Princess Zelda as she gently reined in her magnificent white horse at the entrance to Hyrule Castle and petted him on the neck.

It was mid-afternoon, and she and Link had just returned from a brief trip to the Hyrule Garrison.

"Well, that was a pleasant, if somewhat abbreviated, ride!" said Zelda as they dismounted. "I wish we could have ridden longer, but Father wants me home before dinner to discuss matters."

"I enjoyed the ride as well," said Link. "But I agree that Storm and Epona barely broke a sweat."

"I know," laughed Princess Zelda as she petted her horse again before handing him over to an attendant. "Oh, before I forget, I won't be needing your services tomorrow, Link. I plan to spend all day with Purah here at the castle, discussing some of her recent research. So please feel free to do as you wish."

"Thank you, Highness," said Link. "I haven't been to Zora's Domain in quite some time, so I think I'll head there before it gets too late."

They said farewell, and Zelda entered the castle. Then Link fed Epona one of the apples he had been carrying, hopped onto her saddle, and they were off.

"We need to hurry if we want to get there before it's too late," said Link as he urged Epona forward. "I'm hoping to see Mipha before she goes to sleep."