Chapter 60 - Explaining Astra

Summary: In the Calamity Timeline, Astra takes on more responsibility from Queen Zelda. Purah returns Astra's Tab and takes a deep dive into timelines to explain how they work and what happened. Astra ponders what North Hyrule must be like now.

One week had passed since Astra and Fallon's picnic at the Sacred Grounds, and the mid-morning sun illuminated the walls of Hyrule Castle with a golden warmth. The air was filled with the songs of birds chirping in the garden and trees.

Astra sat at her desk in her new office, situated atop one of the tallest spires of the castle. The room was across from Queen Zelda's office, offering a convenient location for the two to collaborate if necessary. Astra found it a joy to work in. Myra, Queen Zelda's loyal Royal Secretary, was stationed nearby, always ready to assist with any tasks that arose. Even Zelda's curious cat, Mia, occasionally wandered into her office eager to investigate her new neighbor. Astra couldn't help but smile at the playful feline's antics as she roamed around as if she owned the place.

A gentle breeze wafted through the open window, carrying with it the fragrant scents of blooming flowers, adding to the tranquil atmosphere. Astra looked up from her reading as a sparrow landed on the windowsill and let out a single chirp before fluttering away. This brief interruption allowed her to take a moment to admire the breathtaking view. From this vantage point, she could see almost the entire kingdom of Hyrule. The rolling hills, shimmering rivers, and majestic mountains all seemed like a painting come to life before her eyes.

Lost in her thoughts, Astra was suddenly brought back to reality by a soft knock on her open door. She looked up to see Myra standing there with a gentle smile.

"Your Highness, Colonel Lorton, head of security, is here for his usual meeting with Her Majesty. Would you like me to show him in?"

"Yes, please. Thank you, Myra."

Astra hoped this meeting would go smoothly; it was Lorton's first meeting with her instead of Queen Zelda.

A moment later, Lorton entered the room, radiating confidence and displaying respect. Astra stood up from behind her desk to welcome him.

"Good morning, Colonel. Please take a seat," she greeted warmly. "Would you like some tea?"

"Thank you, Your Highness, I would," Lorton replied graciously. "I always find Queen Zelda's tea quite invigorating."

Astra poured him a cup and refilled her own before they both took a sip and got down to business.

"I understand that I will now be reporting to you regarding security matters, Your Highness," Lorton said respectfully.

"That is correct, and I hope that is agreeable to you," Astra responded calmly.

"Very much so," Lorton earnestly expressed. "If I may speak candidly, I believe this change will be beneficial for all concerned. Her Majesty is an admirable ruler loved by all, always putting the well-being of her subjects first. However, I can't help but feel that she sometimes carries too much responsibility alone on her shoulders. I hope that reporting to you will somewhat ease her burden."

"I wholeheartedly agree," said Astra as she nodded in agreement. "I have gone through the security reports from yesterday and have no further questions," she stated. "However, I am curious if any progress has been made in determining how those three criminals were able to find out about my journey to Crenel Peak."

"We have indeed investigated, Your Highness, but we cannot say for certain," Lorton replied with a sigh. "However, we did discover a flaw in our security measures that may have played a role. Your horse was always charged out from the Royal Stable under your name whenever you rode, a procedure that dates back to before we knew that you were a Princess. However, after your royal lineage was revealed, this process was never changed. Moving forward, any horse you use will be charged out under the name of the Royal Guard, making it less obvious when you plan to ride."