Chapter 71 - Making Connections

Summary: In the Calamity Timeline, Fallon sits for the Royal Guard exam. The page from Mila's book in the Victory Timeline reaches Granté and Jerrin. Purah ponders where Astra's Tab could have originated.

"I know it's tough, Fallon, but try not to be too nervous," Torin reassured his friend. "I've never seen anyone study as hard as you have for an exam. You even skipped meals to get in extra preparation."

It was evening at the Hyrule Castle barracks, and Fallon was winding down for the night. The highly anticipated Royal Guard exam was tomorrow, and he had done everything he could to prepare. His friend and partner, Torin, stopped by to wish him good luck.

"Thanks for the encouragement, but I still feel a lot of pressure," sighed Fallon. "Passing this exam would be a huge stepping stone in my career. But more importantly, I want to prove my worth to Princess Astra and Queen Zelda. Maybe 'worth' is too strong a word - I'll never feel worthy of being with Astra. She's extraordinary, Torin. It's like she walked right out of a dream... I hope passing this exam will improve my standing in their eyes."

"I'm sure it will," said Torin. "But speaking of the Princess, I noticed you haven't spent much time with Her Highness recently. I hope there hasn't been any disagreement between you two."

"No, nothing like that, Torin," Fallon explained. "Astra told me she wants me to focus all my free time on preparing for the exam and doesn't want to distract me. We talked about it briefly."

"Tell me more," prodded Torin. "Maybe talking about it will help calm your nerves."

"Well, we were returning from dinner at that new seafood restaurant in Castle Town called Fish Feast. A Zora couple runs it, and they have specials this month in honor of their new King Sidon and Queen Tona. Astra loves all kinds of fish! Did I ever mention that?"

"You did. And speaking of Zoras, you're floating off course, as a Zora might say," laughed Torin. "You really are nervous, aren't you?"

"Yeah, I guess so," chuckled Fallon. "Anyway, after dinner, I walked Astra to the castle entrance to say goodnight."

"Now remember," she said. "Put all your free time to good use and focus on studying for the exam. So I think it's best if we don't see each other until then."

"I understand, but I still won't be able to stop thinking about you."

"Then whenever you think of me, imagine how great it would be if you were my permanent guard and didn't have any other duties," Astra suggested, her voice full of hope. "You could spend every day with me instead of doing other things ... oh, like going off to the Gerudo Desert for sparring practice with Vai."

"That would be my dream job," I admitted, smiling as I squeezed her hand. "And please forget about Gerudo Vai. They mean nothing to me".

"And when it comes to combat, remember everything I've taught you," Astra reminded him. "That should serve you well."

"I will."

"Then we kissed goodnight and parted ways," concluded Fallon. "That was just over two weeks ago, and I haven't seen her since."

"That's tough to be apart so long," said Torin, shaking his head. "But do your best, and then you can't fault yourself no matter what happens. So, I'll wish you goodnight and good luck tomorrow."

Fallon nodded, appreciating his friend's support. "Thanks, Torin."

Torin then patted Fallon on the back and left, after which Fallon settled into his bunk, trying to quiet his mind. He closed his eyes, but sleep eluded him. The weight of tomorrow's exam pressed heavily on his thoughts. Hours passed, and Fallon tossed and turned, his mind racing through everything he'd studied. Combat techniques, castle protocols, royal etiquette—it all swirled together in a dizzying mix.