Chapter 66 - Old Scores

Summary: In the Calamity Timeline, Fallon and his colleague Torin investigate a series of robberies that lead to an encounter with a person from Fallon's past.

The early evening was still and dark, with not even a sliver of moon to light the path ahead. The only illumination came from a small lantern attached to Norton's horse-drawn wagon, casting a warm, flickering glow upon the well-trodden road just west of Mabe Prairie. Norton, a hardworking merchant from Castle Town, clutched the reins tightly as he guided his horse south on the road that meandered past Mabe Prairie, pulling the now-empty wagon he used to transport goods.

He had experienced a successful day of sales and was eagerly anticipating arriving home to the embrace of his loving wife and the laughter of his two young children. Facing the constant challenge of making ends meet, Norton appreciated having a stall in Castle Town, where his determination and hard work were rewarded with the opportunity to provide for his family.

With a click of his tongue, Norton urged his horse to press on, its hooves rhythmically thudding against the dirt road as they journeyed further south. Suddenly, the stillness of the night was shattered by a commotion from behind. Out of the inky blackness, a sinister figure emerged and leaped onto the back of Norton's wagon, brandishing a sharp, menacing object against Norton's throat.

"Don't turn around if you know what's good for you," the stranger hissed menacingly. "Just hand over your rupees."

Norton's body shook uncontrollably with fear, his breath catching in his throat as he hastily reached into his vest pocket and pulled out a pouch filled with the day's earnings. The stranger, concealed by a shadowy mask, swiftly dismounted the wagon and vanished into the night, leaving Norton alone with his racing thoughts.

Despite losing his hard-earned money, Norton knew he had been spared a horrible fate. He solemnly promised himself to report the theft first thing in the morning when he returned to Castle Town. But for now, he could only hold onto the hope that he would soon be reunited with his family. Norton's heart pounded in his chest, the adrenaline still surging through his veins as he clung to the reins, guiding his horse down the road that led him back to the life he cherished so dearly.

The next day by Hyrule Castle, the sun shone brightly as Fallon made his way to the mess hall when his unit's Captain spotted him.

"Fallon!" the captain called out, approaching him.

"Yes, Sir," replied Fallon.

"We just received another report of a robbery near Mabe Prairie last night, a Castle Town merchant returning home," said the captain. "After breakfast, I need you and Torin to go to Mabe Village and gather information. These robberies must be stopped! People are once again afraid to travel at night."

"Understood, Sir," answered Fallon. "I'll inform Torin."

A few minutes later, he and his friend Torin sat down to breakfast in the bustling army mess hall nearby. The aroma of scrambled eggs and sizzling sausages filled the air as they found a table and settled in for their day's first meal.

"You feeling better?" Fallon asked as he set his tray down on the wooden surface.

They had returned from their training mission in the Gerudo Desert the night before last, and Torin had been under the weather the whole trip back.

"Yeah, I'm okay now," chuckled Torin, taking a sip of orange juice. "But I understand why they give us a day off after returning from maneuvers with the Gerudo. Those Noble Pursuits creep up on you."

"Maneuvers is definitely the right word," laughed Fallon, remembering their celebration night. "And I'm not speaking militarily. I'm glad I had enough sense to limit my drinking and get some fresh air. Their perfume goes right to your head."