Chapter 5: Hopeless Mr. Dumbledore.

Flora loved Anne of Green Gables mostly because her father often told her how her mum thought they were like Anne and Gilbert. Flora loved Anne and related to her more than anything. They were both orphans and they were both romantics at heart. They shared the same sense of adventure too. Flora had decided that now was the time to embrace her inner Anne. She is gonna quit moping about and do everything she wants. 

Flora was known in Hogwarts for her peculiar sense of fashion. She loved having flowers in her hair. According to her you must have flowers on your hair at all times and if you are wearing a hat, you must put flowers on that. After a bit of bullying from some Slytherins especially Lucinda Talkalot and Corinna Yaxley, she had stopped wearing flowers but now she was gonna change that. Flora will be Flora from now on and no one could stop her. All her friends supported her quest of identity and even helped her pick flowers for the week. Flora wanted to forget about the marauders who still approached her sometimes to apologize. She had noticed James staring at her a few times but she was quick to turn her head. She wanted nothing to do with them. She had even cut off Mathias and Remus. Mathias had told her about his crush on Evanna and she had even agreed to help him woo her but now all was forgotten because Flora knew how to hold her grudge.

James had been in a constant state of confusion for days. Everyone in Hogwarts knew he loved Lily but now he was thinking about the mystery girl and even more surprising, about Flora Abernathy. People often called her a weirdo and other peculiar names. James agreed with them. She was weird but as far as James was concerned it was not a bad thing. He liked her peculiarity. He liked the flowers she had started wearing again after giving up in second year. He liked how she was always reading or even writing while walking. She had her down looking at a book while walking and stumbling into people all the time but she never changed that habit. She was also really intelligent and smart. James had been thinking about her since the day she slapped him. In retrospect, It could be said that that was the second day that would change his life.

It had been two weeks since the incident and everyone was tired now. The marauders and the girls decided there was only one way to make Flora forgive James. They had to trap them together and so for their transfiguration lesson, all of them sat with each other and made the Ravenclaws sit with each other so that James, who had a habit of arriving at least two minutes after the classes had begun, had to sit with Flora. Flora was lost in her book and she did not notice the conspiring look on her friends faces and later when James sat with her.

James’ heart was beating out of his chest. He took one look at Sirius and he knew what had happened. Flora would be pissed but at least he now had a chance. “Hey” he spoke up as his voice broke a little and it came out funny. Flora almost laughed till she saw James sitting next to her. “What are you doing here?” she asked.

“There is no other place.”

“There has to be." She started looking around. She screamed Lily’s name but she would not listen. She was busy pretending to be talking to Remus. When she turned at Evanna, she saw Marthias’ pleading look as he finally got the chance to sit next to Evanna. She sighed and raised her hands. 

“Professor Mcggonagal, can you change my seat please. I don’t wish to sit next to James.” The professor only gave her a look before continuing his lesson. James smiled. “The whole universe conspired so I could sit next to you and apologize. I think you should forgive me now.” 

“Still as arrogant as ever. Do you even mean it when you apologize to me?” 

James had not even realized he had sounded rude. “What no I mean of course I mean it. I am sorry you know” Flora decided he was not worth it and stopped listening to him. The class ended soon.

“I hate all of you for leaving me with him. He would not shut up, That arrogant git.” She complained to her friends.

“Maybe you should forgive him.” Alice said

“Not happening”

James came back exasperated. They were in their room and Mathias was talking excitedly about how he was gonna finally gonna ask Evanna to be his girlfriend and how she was obviously gonna agree to it. Sirius, Peter and Remus were humoring him as they often did with Mathias and James, their love sick friends. 

“How do you even know that you love her?” James asked all of a sudden.

“Huh”

“How do you know that you love Evanna?” he asked Mathias.

“Well I just do. I have been in love since the day I first saw her. In all these five years, My love has only grown. I’ve never doubted it. Why do you ask?” Mathias replied.

“It’s all so complicated. This love and whatever.”

“If it seems complicated maybe it's not right. When you really love someone, it's the most easiest thing in the world. That’s Eva for me.”

“Eva? Even got the nicknames ready. Have ya?” Sirius joked and thus began another pillow fight between the boys.

Mathias was coming back after having tea with his grand uncle, Dumbledore, when he noticed Flora sitting on the window sill all by herself, sketching and humming, lost in her thoughts. 

“Flo” he said, scaring her so she almost lost her balance and dropped her sketchbook. He picked it up. “What are you doing?” he asked.

“What do you want?”

“Just wanna know how my friend is doing.”

“We are not friends, Mr. Dumbledore. Please..”

“Mr. Dumbledore. Ouch! You know how to hurt a man” he tried joking.

“Please leave me alone Mathias. I don’t wanna talk to you?”

“You can’t be angry with me forever. I am your best friend and soon to be brother-in-law.” he said smirking. She looked at him confused. “I’ll marry Evanna soon and then I’ll be your brother-in-law since you lot are always calling each other sisters.”

“You are hopeless, Mr. Dumbledore”

“Is that a smile I see”

“Stupid” she smiled at him.

“I am forgiven” he screamed at the top of his lungs before saying goodbye and running off to his room. Flora had forgiven him now that she thought he had suffered enough.