Douche Canoe

"Thank's again Mrs. Lahote." Elena said as she stood on the Lahote's front porch. "You don't have to thank me, sweetheart. Say hi to Jenna for me!" Lizzy said to Elena with a smile. "I will." Elena responded.

Lizzy eventually closed the door and Sarah flopped down on the couch with a huff. Diesel jumped up onto the couch, laying his head in her lap. The woman raised an eyebrow at her daughter. "You gonna go out with Elena and your other friends tonight?" She asked.

"Absolutely not." Sarah responded, closing her eyes and scratching behind Diesel's ears. "I've peopled enough today and there's this new kid too. Within 7 hours I knew more about him than myself."
"Is he cute?" Her mother asked with a smirk. "Annoyingly cute. But he's not my type and he seems to be into Elena even though they just met."

Lizzy hummed, watching her daughter. "Okay.. Well your father's gonna be home soon. You wanna help me with dinner?"
Sarah opened one eye and nodded. Within a matter of minutes, music was blasting in the kitchen as the Lahote women cooked, danced around, and sang.

Paul stood in the doorway, watching as his wife and daughter sang off key while the chicken cooked on the stove. Sarah turned around and almost dropped her spatula when she screamed. She watched unamused as her father laughed at her.

"It's really not that funny." She said trying to hold in a laugh herself. "Oh come on, it was a little funny." He said. Sarah burst out laughing which turned into a wheeze when her parents began laughing. It was contagious.

Eventually they calmed down enough for Paul to ask the question that'd been on his mind since he stepped in the house. "What's for dinner?" Sarah raised her eyebrow as she grabbed out the tortillas. "Chicken Fajitas. We've not done it in a while and it's easy." She responded, hitting her father in the arm with the bag of tortillas. The single action brought back memories from when the pack was much much smaller.

After dinner, Sarah checked her phone to see 24 unopened messages and 7 missed calls from her friends. She read the messages through the notification window before swiping the notifications away and putting her phone on the charger.

She walked across the room to her dresser and pulled out pj's, then proceeded to go do her nightly routine of showering, skincare, and reading until she fell asleep.
At 12 am, Lizzy walked past her daughters door to see the light on. Her heart was steady and light snores escaped from her.

The woman entered the room and gently pried the book from her sleeping daughters hands. She placed the bookmark between the open pages and covered her with the blanket. As she left, she turned out the lights and closed the door, hearing the click.

"The Battle of Willow Creek took place right at the end of the war in our very own Mystic Falls. How many casualties resulted in this battle? Ms. Bennett?" Mr. Tanner asked. "Um...a lot? I'm not sure. Like a whole lot." Bonnie responded.

"Cute becomes dumb in an instant, Ms. Bennett. Mr. Donovan? Would you like to take this opportunity to overcome your embedded jock stereotype?" He asked. "It's okay, Mr. Tanner, I'm cool with it." Matt responded.
"What about you Ms. Lahote? Could you tell us?" Sarah looked up from the paper she was drawing on. "Don't ask me, I've not lived here my whole life." She said.

"Hmm. Elena? Surely you can enlighten us about one of the town's most significantly historical events?" Mr. Tanner asked Elena. "I'm sorry, I—I don't know."
"I was willing to be lenient last year for obvious reasons, Elena. But the personal excuses ended with summer break." Sarah couldn't believe he had the audacity to say that. She took out her phone and discreetly texted Elena.

"Ignore Mr. Tanner. He's a Douche Canoe."

"There were 346 casualties. Unless you're counting local civilians." Stefan interjected. "That's correct. Mister...?"
"Salvatore."
"Salvatore. Any relation to the original settlers here at Mystic Falls?" Mr. Tanner asked. "Distant."

"Well, very good. Except, of course, there were no civilian casualties in this battle."
"Actually, there were 27, sir. Confederate soldiers, they fired on the church, believing it to be housing weapons. They were wrong. It was a night of great loss. The founder's archives are, uh, stored in civil hall if you'd like to brush up on your facts, Mr. Tanner." Stefan said. "Hmm."

"What's a 'Douche Canoe'?" Elena asked Sarah once they got out of class. "A Douche Canoe is an obnoxious person, typically a man. Basically it's a nicer but still derogatory way of saying 'Tanner's a Dick' without actually saying it." She responded.

"But you just said it?" Elena pointed out questioningly. "I'm aware, Lena. I just wanted to call him a Douche Canoe. It rolls off the tongue nicely." She said with a smirk.
Elena rolled her eyes and nudged Sarah in the side. "You're going to the party at the falls." Elena said. Sarah raised her eyebrows. "I didn't hear a please." She pointed out. "I'm not asking you. If I have to go to this thing, so do you."

"This is peer pressure." Sarah said bluntly. "It's not peer pressure." Elena tried to assure her. Sarah gave her a look. "Fine maybe it is, but please atleast think about it."

"I'll think about it."

A/N- I got a job interview tomorrow at 2:45. I'm not prepared in the slightest, but I'll be fine. Kinda nervous though.

I'm thinking about skipping some of season 1 without losing some of the important moments.

Hope the chapter was okay!

-A