CHAPTER 19

(Jasmine's POV)

My worst nightmare. Bumping into one of the children of the former president. Such an embarrassment I might add. Maybe that's why she keeps on looking at me. Lord help! Ayoko na. We are now eating and no one is talking, at least in our table. We were divided into three. Those who will be housed by Mr. Bong Bong, Sen. Imee and us. Ang iingat nila tapos nandito kaming parang walang dila.

At idadagdag ko pa, meron si Irish at ito ang esciting part. Anak siya ni Mrs. Araneta, meaning magkakasama kami sa iisang bubong. Nakaupo ako sa pinakadulo kasi nakakahiya talaga yung ginawa ko kanina. 

(SKIP. ARANETA RESIDENCE)

(Irene's POV)

Irene: "Okay everyone, Vera will show you to your individual rooms hopefully you will all feel comfortable, and please, be at home." 

They all went upstairs carrying their baggage. It's good to have some people inside the house for once, rather than having a large house with no one inside to talk to.

Irish: "Ma, I'll just go out again. I'm meeting my friends." 

"Sure, just be back by 8." I said and planted a soft kiss on her forehead before she left.

'Is that really her?" I thought. Well, that's her. She's grown into a beautiful young lady. I went on to make snacks for the children. I decided to make turkey sandwich. I remembered that it is or it was Jessie's favorite. Hopefully, Jasmine will like it too.

(Jasmine's POV)

Ang sosyal ng mga guest room nila. Iba nga talaga pag mayaman. Nakahiga lang ako. Bakit hindi ako nagrereview? Pagod ako. May isang buwan pa ako para magreview, okay lang. Natauhan ako at kinuha ang phone ko para sabihing meron na ako sa bahay ni Mrs. Araneta kay dad. And walang reply, siguro nga talaga may meeting sila.

Pumunta ako sa CR para manlang maghilamos. I rinsed my face and let the water flow down while starring at reflection. Matapos kong maging lutang, I changed into a beige hoodie and black jogging pant ung tipong para bang ang lamig lamig. Well, okay lang may aircon sila.

I decided to bring out my clothes and place it in the cabinet. I am opening my bag when someone knocked. I opened it and saw Mrs. Araneta carrying a sandwich on a plate. She let herself in of course it's her house.

Irene: "How is your room? Do you anything?" she said while placing the food on the table.

"Ummm...it fine Mrs. Araneta. It's comfy."

Irene: "Have a snack before you study. I brought you a turkey sandwich."

TURKEY? Sa kadami-dami ng karne, TURKEY pa talaga? Kaya kong ulamin ang shrimp ng isang linggo at kaya kong kumain ng mani habang buhay pero pag turkey ang usapan, isang kagat palang, para na akong nalulunod. I look at the food she bought.

"Thank you." I said in a silent tone.

Irene: "Why? Is there a problem?" she said and looked back.

"I don't mean to be rude in any way but..." God! I can't tell her.

Irene: "But what?" 

"I'm really sorry but I can't eat it. I am highly like, really allergic to turkey."

I can see her disappointment as her smile slowly fades. You did it again Jassy, you hurt her physically and emotionally this day. Ayoko na palang manirahan sa bahay ng mga Marcos.

Irene: "Is that so?" she said and got the plate and walked towards the door.

"Mrs. Araneta?"

Irene: "Yes?"

"I am really sorry for wasting your effort." I said looking at her, gulping. She walked towards me and caress my cheek.

Irene: "It's fine." she said then walked away, closing the door.

(Irene's POV)

As I got out of Jasmine's room, I ordered one of our maid to bring the plate down. I went to my bedroom and immediately burst into tears. How could I? I can't even know what my daughter doesn't like. I really failed her, haven't I. Her eyes, they tell everything she has been through to those who look closely. 

18 years of not feeling my presence. How can I say I'm sorry for not being on her side? I composed myself and decided to call Jessie.

***On Call***

Jessie: "Mrs. Araneta?"

"She's here."

Jessie: "Don't you dare tell her about anything." he commanded as tears fell from my eyes.

"Jessie..." I can't help it anymore. I sob.

Jessie: "What happened?" his tone change into a worried one.

"Jess..." I continued to cry.

Jessie: "Irene! What happened?"

"I almost hurt her." I said placing my hand on my mouth to prevent a sound coming out.

Jessie: "What do you mean?"

"She's allergic to turkey...I don't know anything about her."

I heard a sigh. He didn't say anything. He just didn't end the call. He didn't speak a single word after what I said and I just continued to sob.

"Jess? Are you still there?"

Jessie: "Yes." he replied plainly.

"She's beautiful. I wish I was there to see her grow."

Jessie: "You weren't, so stop wishing about changing the past. You can't bring back time."

"I'm sorry."

Jessie: "I wasn't the one who's hurt. I have to go." he said and hung up leaving me with tears on my face.