CHAPTER 35

(Irene's POV)

"Hi my love. Happy Birthday." I said as I carry a bouquet of white tulips and place it on the ground, and sit on the bench facing Jasmine's urn inside a glass box, on top of a pillar-like structure. It's been 6 years after her untimely death, 6 years since I last saw Jessie.

"Sorry if I didn't come to greet you for the last 6 years Rina. It's just..." I let go of a deep sigh. "It's hard to move on." I stated and looked up, trying not to let any tear drop. "Why did you do that ba kasi? I'm sorry if we still didn't get who your killer is. We're still working on it." I paused as I cannot talk normally...my voice is starting to crack. 

"I miss you." I whispered as I fix my gaze above the starry sky, but can't control the tears to slide down my cheek. I stood up and went closer to the pillar. I let my fingers touch the glass. "Why don't you ever come to my dreams? You don't want to talk to me, do you?" I slightly smiled. 

"You want a ghost to talk to you?" A voice questioned. I turned around. It's Jessie holding a bouquet of flowers and what seemed to be a small box of cupcakes. 

I smiled. "If she's the ghost, I would want to be haunted forever. I'll love to hear her voice every night while I sleep." He laid the bouquet next to where I placed mine, pulled out a lighter from his pocket and lit the two candles on the foot of the pillar. 

"Hi." 

"It's my first time seeing you here." He said as he sat on the bench, putting his hands on his jacket pocket.

"Well, mashadong masakit. After 6 years, I can't seem to have the courage to come here." I said as I walked towards the bench and eventually sat beside Jessie. "How about you? This is the first time I saw you since the funeral." 

He chuckled. 

"Let's eat shall we." he stated and opened the teal-colored box that consisted of two pink-colored icing. He offered me one. I accepted his offer but accidentally slightly touched his ring and pinky finger. He looked at me as if I did a major crime. Alam ko naman na hindi niya ako babalikan at alam ko din na ayaw niya na hinahawakan o yumayakap ako sa kanya. 

I held the cupcake of about a minute while staring at Jasmine's name engraved on the pillar and peeling off the cupcake paper. I took a bite and was a little bit surprised that I took a look at the cupcake once again.

"Is this strawberry-flavored?" 

"Obviously. Why?"

"I thought she didn't like strawberries?"

"She doesn't. She hates them. But...she won't eat it naman." he said while still holding the cupcake. "Happy Birthday Jassy. Love you always and forever." he stated before standing up and placed the cupcake on top of the glass and kneeled to place his palm on the gravestone. 

Inilapit niya ang kanyang index at middle finger sa kanyang mga labi at hinalikan ito bago ibalik sa gravestone. "Te quiero." he said and stood up. 

He approached me and unexpectedly, he gave me a peck on my cheek with his hand on my left shoulder. "See you soon. I have to go." 

"Do you have to?" I replied.

"It's Cristy's birthday. I have to be there." he stated which made some part of me uncomfortable. He turned his back when I stood up, placed the dessert on the bench.

"They are still your priority, aren't they?"

"Irene, our daughter is dead. Let go of her already." He said walking backwards with his hands on his jacket pocket and smiled while I just stare at him walking away, distancing away...again.

(Jessie's POV)

Hindi naman talaga ako aalis para sa birthday ni Cristy, aalis ako dahil sa tuwing nakikita ko si Irene, laging pumapasok sa isip ko ang gabi kung bakit hanggang ngayon, wala akong mapagkatiwalaang tao at kung bakit lagi akong umiinom dahil hindi ko parin alam kung sino ang pumatay sa anak ko. 

I went inside my car just to breathe out a deep sigh and apparently, breakout. I held the steering wheel firmly with my both hands and just staring at the front...Irene's car. After 6 years of hiring more likely all the best investigators I know, both foreign and local, nothing. They found nothing but empty traces of nothing. 

I opened the car door and got out because of remembering that moment makes me lose my mind. Nothing but seeing my daughter more likely bathing over her own blood makes me want to destroy everything I see around me. I haven't done anything to prevent her for going nor can I do anything to hear her laugh again. 

I am walking back and forth with my head up looking at the stars that are nearly covered by clouds. "I really wish you were here right now, Jassy." bulong ko at tumunganga ulit habang nakasaldal sa aking kotse at hinaharap ang isang malaking puno. Matapos ang ilang minuto, nakaramdam ako ng pumapatak na liquido sa aking balikat, ulan.

Irene still hasn't returned to her car when the rain showered from the heavens that made me enter my car vigorously. I waited for Irene to get out of the lot, but she didn't. No choice, I had to rush inside the lot again, carrying an umbrella. No doubt, she is just sitting on the bench, letting the rain splash on her coat. I run closer to her and went in front of her, holding a half-eaten desert. Her eyes budged slightly and her hands are shaking a little. 

"Talaga bang binabalak mong magkasakit? Tara na." 

She didn't make any movement as I am still holding the umbrella which is covering her majorly and only my  right hand is included while my body is about to be sogged by the rain.

"Irene!" I exclaimed but still didn't get any response for she is staring in front, Jasmine's urn. "Forgive me Gregorio for doing this." I said then made her hold the umbrella and wrapped my left arm on her back and my right on her upper calf, basically, carried her. Guessingly, because of her surprise, she dropped the cupcake which I didn't mind as long as I get out of the heavy rain.

I rushed to my car and placed her on the front seat while I use the umbrella to get to the driver's seat while breathing heavily. There is silence inside the car but loud noise of rain splatters outside. 

"I thought you left." she asked with the voice of a woman on the verge of crying.

"After the rain will stop, I will." 

"You know you didn't have to do that."

"If I wanted you to have colds for a week, I would have left you there." I replied.

"Do you still love me?" She asked out of nowhere.

I didn't answer as I didn't know what to reply.

"Jess?"

Author's Note

Thank you again for reading mga marehhh...Vote and comment. Love you all.