CHAPTER 39

(Jasmine's POV)

6 months passed and yet...both of them are still pleading to god that I may return to my normal good-girl, proper and obedient self. They have been texting me everyday, greeting and more likely...saying "Good morning" and "Good night". On weekends, they have been inviting me to join them on each of their outings, events, or just for dinner.

It's suffocating in some ways and annoying. First of all...I don't know why on earth Gregorio Araneta is not opposing on how Irene act towards me. Second, sometimes I wish I didn't have to pretend that I don't remember my father, but I did, and I still do. "6 more months, self." That is what I am telling myself.

"Meet us at the garden. 5 PM."
Jessie Elizalde

A text I received from dad. I couldn't do anything but to go. Ilang lingo na kasi nila akong tinetext ng paulit-ulit. Walang araw na hindi nila pagpahingahin ung mga sms nila kakagood morning. So...fine pupunta ako, para naman mapanatag kaluluwa nila.

(5 PM)

I showed up as expected. Wala namang special na ganap, ano nanaman kaya ang binabalak ng dalawang to?

Jessie: Buti naman dumating ka, Jassy. I thought you were going to decline my offer for the sixth time.

"Well, wala na akong irarason. Anong meron? Bakit ka nagyaya?"

Irene: "Rina! It's good you came. Hanggang kelan mo kami iiwasan? I have been worried about you, hindi mo man lang sinasagot mga tawag ko." She exclaimed as she came dashing towards me, and wrapped her arms around me.

For some reason, I felt a little bit guilty. Is my revenge plan hurting them too much? Or am I just being OA? NO! Itutuloy ko ang plano ko kahit na anong mangyari. I must finish what I started.

Jessie: "Let's sit down, shall we? I think it's time that we should tell you the truth on how your mum and I met, and how we separated. Maybe it will lessen your anger on continuing your plan of revenge." He said as I am shocked that they knew about it.

"You know?"

Irene: "Of course we do, my love. Were you really going to leave us permanently after a year?" She asked as she sat on the chair facing a round table with snacks. Dad pulled the chair next to mum, inviting me to sit down, so I did.

"Did lolo tell you about that?"

Irene: "Rina, I may not have been with you for a long time, but I have my own ways. Don't blame your lolo." She took a deep breath and continued. "Answer my question now will you? Are you going to leave us again? Don't lie to me this time. We found out that you are in perfect condition once you set foot in the Philippines, that you did not lose you or memories."

Apakagaling naman talaga. Iba talaga kapag may ama kang imbestigador. Imbestigador, pero hindi nalaman king sino ang bumaril sa sarili niyang anak, ilang taon na ang lumipas.

" I am. For good."

My mother, as usual, held my hand while my father is staring at the scenery. A garden with plants all over, a filled up pond, cobblestone pathway, and and ombre-colored sky.

Irene: "Will you let us be complete? Just for a year. Just so I can fill up my absence? Isang taon lang Rina, yun lang ang hinihingi ko sayo."

Jessie: "Irene, don't rush her. She is capable of making her own decision. For the mean time, here are our pictures before we separated." He said and gave me a beige-colored picture album, kind of worn-off.

I opened to the first pages. Well, what can I say? They really did love each other. But the problem is...it is not the will of destiny. There are pictures of them hugging each other, mom's Polaroid pictures, and on the last page, a picture of mum carrying me with two baggages in front of her.

"Saan tayo pupunta dito?" I asked.

Jessie: "Hindi tayo. Siya. That's the day your mum left. That night, you started crying non-stop as if you knew she is not coming back soon. I couldn't take care of you at that time since I left the house as soon as the presidential guards left with your mother. I came here to destroy everything I can with a hammer and constantly drinking brandy. Which is why, I asked your lola to take care of you, which lasted for days since I just don't have the courage to enter the house."

I looked at mum, teary-eyed and staring at a distance, trying not to make any eye contact. Goshhh. Too much drama.

"What's the point of me coming back to your lives when to put it bluntly, I am just a mistake from the start. A child born out of wedlock, in a foreign country, with parents who are separated and have children of their own. Dad, I want you to enjoy your lives with Julia. Same goes to you Mrs. Araneta. Live your life free from thinking about the outcome of your failed relationship with a former cadet."

Jessie: "So you're saying that we should just turn a blind eye on what just happened about you and to the fact that I have a daughter named Irina Jasmine Marcos Elizalde? Is that what you want us to do?!" He shouted. Mum is just not making any eye contact towards any of us, but we can hear her crying softly.

"Dad, I would have been happier if I died with a bullet shot through my head than to live with pain in my heart because of the revelations I heard that night. From the moment I woke up at the hospital, the doctors already told me that it would take me years to get back to my normal state, years for me to be able to walk, talk and eat on my own. In those years, I have endured physical and emotional pain. Pain that none of you were able to endure, since you were all living your lives at ease." I said as I stood up and looked my father directly in the eye while my mother is just listening to what I am saying, sadly.

What on earth will I do now? To stay or to leave?