CHAPTER 21

(Irene's POV)
Kanina pa nakatitig si Jasmine sa mga envelopes so I decided to tell them what is inside.
"Okay everyone. Since some of you are curious, I am going to tell you what is inside these envelopes." I said while they are enjoying their desserts. I removed the papers from one of the envelopes. "Here are additional papers for you to review." I said and saw their shocked faces. It is a seventy-paged reviewer that includes the basics for the Philippine Constitution. Jasmine chuckled hearing what I have just said.

After they were done, each of them went outside to look at the scenery. It's not much, but to me it is relaxing to see nature once in a while. They are all laughing while chatting with each other except for Jasmine. I don't know where she went.

I walked to the group.
"Guys, where's Irina? I mean Jasmine?"

Kendra: "We don't know po tita. she was the first one to get out of the restaurant."

"Okay, I'll find her nalang."

I went to look for her through the trees. I found her, sitting while leaning her back on one of the trees, starring at the empty space while holding with her phone, spinning it around on her lap. I approached her.

"Irina, what are you doing here?" I asked without thinking what I just called her. She looked at me blankly.

Jasmine: "Just thinking ma'am." She said as I sat beside her.

"Thinking about what Irina?"

Jasmine: "Thinking about what my life would be if I had a mother."

I couldn't answer. There is silence. I am about to talk when she spoke first.

Jasmine: " By the way, I have two names other than Irina, please use those. It's better not to speak my first name."

A tear fell down my right eye but it's good that she couldn't see it as she is sitting of the left side. I quickly wiped it pretending that I got dust in my eye.

"Why don't you like your first name?"

Jasmine: "I just don't like to remember my mother."

"What about her?" I pretended to ask.

I received no response and she just shrugged her shoulders with a small smile before she stood up and offered me her hands to help me get up.

I failed as a mother to give my only daughter the love and care she deserves. Hopefully she can and will understand why I left her. The both of us went back to the restaurant.

(FLASHBACK)

(Jessie's POV)

"Love I am having my vacation for about a month. I am going to Spain. Do you want to come?"

Irene: " I'll check my schedule if I can be with you."

"I have to go love, I'll talk to you soon."

Irene: "Jess..."

"Yes?"

Irene: "Ummm...I love you."

"I love you more. Bye." I replied as I hung up the phone.

(SPAIN)

I am glad to have a month-long vacation after being in the frontline for about 5 months. I am watching TV, resting when I heard a knock. I opened the door and saw the love of my life carrying her baggage in front of my door step.

"It's good you came." I said while we hugged each other.

Irene: "I missed you. Thank God you're alive."

"Why wouldn't I be?" I said withdrawing from her hug and looking at her in her sparkling eyes.

Irene: "The bombing nearly killed you. You know that. It killed half of your colleagues." She said while I carried her stuff and brought it inside. "Jessie, are you listening to what I am saying?" she said firmly. I put down her stuff and faced her.

"Look, I have been working like this for 2 years and yes I was listening to every word you said." I said with a smile.

Irene: "Can't you just withdraw from your position? You have your father's company naman." She said teary-eyed as I hold her waist.

"You know I can't do that."

Irene: " I can't live like this. Always worrying about you. Asking the question "Will I ever see you again? and "Are you dea-". I kissed her not continuing her statement.

We kissed passionately for about a minute. I withdrew and saw tears falling from her closed eyes.

"I will be fine. Don't worry about me." I said as I wipe her tears and kissed her forehead while she's holding my arms. "So, how are you?" I asked and made her face me.

Irene: "I'm fine. Just doing charity works."

"Where do you want to eat?"

Irene: "Cook for me."

"Go and rest. I will call you when the food is ready."