CHAPTER 31

(Irene's POV)

The father of Jessie contacted me days before Jasmine's graduation and told me that we should tell Jasmine the truth. I opposed on the first time but after several sleepless nights, I agreed to him without Jessie knowing.

Greggy just got home from work. The kids are already asleep since it's already late in the evening. I am sitting on the couch here in our bedroom when Greggy opened the door carefully. He gazed at the bed, probably wondering where I am. He turned to the couch where he found me sitting while staring at him.

Greggy: "Hmmm...you're still awake."

I didn't say a word. He took off his necktie, sat beside me and kissed me on the lip while his left hand is placed on my cheek and his right on my waist. I withdrew avoiding his stare.

Greggy: "Is there a problem?"

"I'm so sorry."
I replied as tears uncontrollably fell from my eyes.

Greggy: "For what?"

I couldn't reply. My hands are shaking, I felt weak.

Greggy: "For what Irene!" he exclaimed which made me flinch.

"I have a daughter." I replied as I face him. I can see the change from his face. Then a worried face, now an irritated and angry one.

Greggy: "Of course you have. Si Irish."

"I have a daughter with Congressman Jessie Elizalde."

Greggy: "Since when?" he asked as he wrapped his hand on my neck. He didn't apply any force, but gripped my neck toughly.

"Before we got married. I'm sorry Greg."

He didn't withdraw his grip, nor looked elsewhere, just at me.

"Greg, nasasaktan ako." As i say those words, he lets go.

Greggy: "I'll be sleeping at the office from now on. Don't bother calling me."
He stood up and went outside the room leaving me alone.

(Minutes Passed)

Andito ako ngayon, curled into a ball on the couch looking at my phone on top of the table. Hindi ko din alam kung anong gagawin ko.

And again, I called Jessie. For once, I just want to see him, just once.

***On Call***

"Irene."

I sniffed.

"Am I disturbing you."

"Everytime you call, you basically are."
I smile, reminded that he didn't change in answering rhetorically. Bolero parin kahit galit, parang noon.

"Where are you?"

"Manila." He simply answered.

"Meet me at the garden."

"I don't want to see you. Do you understand that?"

"Jess, just. I want to see you. 18 fucking years, I wasn't able to see you that long."

***Beeping***
***End Call***

(Jessie's POV)

Eh ano ngayon kung labing walong taong kaming hindi nagkita? What's the point of seeing each other again? Utang na loob nakakapagod nang sagutin ang mga tawag niya.

But something inside me wants to see her too.

I tried to get back to reading papers in my office in the house, but obviously, I can't concentrate. Why on earth is she crying? I looked at my phone, wondering if she will call again, but she didn't.