Chapter 21

Chris fiddled nervously as he waited on the front porch. Jessica grinned when she opened the door to find him standing in front of her. She moved to the side to let him inside. "Chris. What are you doing here? And what is that?" She pointed to a small bear in his hands.

Chris handed her the small brown bear. "This is for your baby."

She accepted it with a smile as she shut the door. "Don't you mean our baby?"

"No." He crossed his arms over his chest as he watched her inspect the bear. "Your baby. That is the last thing that baby will ever get from me."

She scoffed, "what? What do you mean? Has your girlfriend put you up to this? I need you."

"No. What you need is the father of that baby, and that is not me." He brushed her hands away when she reached for him. "How could you lie to me? I really wanted to believe you. I wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt."

"What are you talking about?"

Chris sighed, "Scott ordered a paternity test and found out I'm not the father." He watched her go silent, staring down at the bear, "you're not going to deny it then?"

Jessica looked up at him with tears in her eyes, "I really thought it was yours!"

Chris laughed, "the least you could do is be honest now that I know. Like how could you? I don't even understand. You thought what, that you would have the baby and that I would somehow come back to you?"

She shrugged, "maybe! And you would have if it wasn't for that girl."

He scoffed, "it has nothing to do with Kara at all. I would have tested for paternity once the baby got here either way. Scott just saved me a lot of wasted time. I suggest you find the real father and give them a chance to be apart of the baby's life because I will not be. Goodbye Jessica." He ignored her calls to him as he left her standing in the middle of the living room alone, slamming the door behind him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chris found Kara asleep on the couch in panties and a tank top when he returned home. He laughed, scooping her into his arms as she whimpered slightly. "Chris? You're home. How did it go."

He sighed, "it went, darling. But it's done so I don't have to think about it anymore."

She snuggled to his chest as he carried her to the bedroom, "how do you feel?"

He shrugged as he set her on the bed. "Good actually. Can't lie, I didn't hate the idea of having a kid. But I didn't particularly care for being attached to her for the foreseeable future. So overall, I'm good."

"Good." She knelt up on the bed as she watched him take off his shoes before going into his closet to undress. He came back a minute later in only boxers. "I tried to stay up for you. I'm sorry I fell asleep."

"It's fine." He grabbed her waist, lifting her as he turned to sit on the bed with her on his lap. "I went for a drive for a bit to clear my head after I left."

She nodded, "I understand. I can think of another way to clear your head."

He laughed, turning to pin her on the bed under him, "I bet you can. Show me."

She giggled as he began to kiss down her neck before trailing his lips back up to her mouth.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chris heard Kara arrive home late a few days later. He came out of the kitchen as she approached him in the doorway. "Hey. Why are you late?"

She grinned, "I picked up an early Christmas present for you. Well for us? For the house?" She laughed as he shook his head.

"What do you mean?"

She giggled, "just go sit on the couch and close your eyes." She heard him sigh but sit on the couch with his eyes closed.

He heard her go outside before coming back into the house, closing the front door behind her as she approached him. "What did you do Kara?"

She giggled again as she placed the present on his laugh as he opened his eyes. "Surprise? Please don't be mad."

"Mad?!" Chris looked down at the small brown and white dog as he excitedly licked his face, "how could I possibly be mad! He's so cute!"

She smiled, sitting next to him. "Oh good. Well we haven't exactly talked about animals in the house and I just moved in so I didn't want to overstep."

He laughed, leaning over to kiss her on the nose. "No. He's perfect. Thank you Kara."

"We've both had a roller coaster of the possibility of having babies. I thought this was a good compromise for the time being."

He nodded, "it's the perfect compromise. I love you Kara."

She grinned, resting her head on his shoulder, "I love you too."