009. ANGEL GRACE

Cas and Ophelia are sitting at the map table and Cas made himself a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Ophelia hears the front door open, knowing Sam and Libby are back, and she watches as Cas takes a bite of the sandwich.

"Hey." Sam calls, walking down the stairs, Libby's hand in his. She's been even more attached since they got Ezekiel out. She's finally comfortable being around him knowing she doesn't have to lie to him anymore and also that an angel can't take over at the most random time.

"Tastes like... molecules." Cas says.

"What? What are you talking about?" Sam asks.

"When I was human, you know, I had to eat constantly. It was kind of annoying." Cas says.

"Yeah, a lot of human things are pretty annoying." Sam says, the girls nodding in agreement.

"But... I enjoyed the taste of food -- particularly peanut butter with grape jelly, not jam. Jam I found unsettling." Cas says.

"So, what? Now you can't taste PB and J?" Sam asks, sitting on the table next to Cas.

"No, I-I taste every molecule." Cas says as Sam dips his finger into the jelly on the bread and tastes it.

"Not the sum of its parts, huh?" Sam asks.

"It's overwhelming. It's disgusting." Cas says. "I miss you, PB&J."

"It's disgusting cause you're using grape jelly." Libby states making Sam chuckle. Cas looks at her confused, before standing up.

"We need to continue your healing. We're almost done." Cas tells Sam. He puts two fingers on Sam's forehead and starts to heal him, but his face grows concerned.

"What?" Sam asks.

"Nothing." Cas lies.

"You're a terrible liar." Sam states, pushing Cas' arm away.

"That is not true. I once deceived and betrayed both you and your brother, niece, and daughter." Cas reminds.

"Okay, that's not the point." Sam says.

"It may not be the point, but it is a good point." Ophelia comments.

"Cas, what's wrong?" Sam asks.

"I noticed something. It's, uh... it's resonating inside you." Cas says.

"What?" Sam asks.

"Something angelic." Cas says.

"Okay, uh, what the hell does that mean?" Sam asks.

"Maybe we should call Dean." Cas suggests.

"Don't bother. He doesn't answer." Ophelia mumbles, looking down at her book and messing with the corner of the page.

"Look, he wanted to go, and he's gone. We'll handle this." Sam says

+++

"I've found, well, something. It's a detail about when angels leave their vessel... I think. It's, uh, Enochian, which can be a bit flowery. "And the departed shall remain, and the remains shall be departed."" Cas says.

"Okay, so, when an angel leaves a vessel, they leave behind a piece of themselves. Like, uh... like an angelic fingerprint." Sam says.

"Whatever you want to call it, this piece of the departed contains grace." Cas states.

"Wait, you're saying there's angelic grace inside of me?" Sam asks.

"Yes. But it's fading each time I heal you." Cas says.

"Okay. Is that good or bad?"

"Well it's harmless. But the grace itself... might be helpful." Cas puts his current book down and picks another one up. "According to this, we may be able to use the grace that remains inside you to track Gadreel... if we can extract it."