Chapter 1, Orphans

before we start, i'd like to warn you about how cringe this is, i have updated a few of the chapters to make them seem less strange. anyway..enjoy x

*yawning*
*texts Kate*

G: Gabrielle K: Kate
G:hey K
K:hey gal how you doing
G: I'm alr, looks like we're locked in again, it's liek a dollhouse here
K:yeah imma get changed and go steal some chocolate, you coming?
G: nah I'm alr I'll just chill up here a little longer, might write some stuff down or something. See ya later xx
K:aight cya babe x

So your probably wondering. Who's Kate and who's Gabrielle. I'm Gabrielle but you can call me Gabi for short. Kates my best friend in case you couldn't tell.
We're like inseparable and have been since the day we entered this dreadful shit-hole. We are both orphans here at the Maple Orphanage (A/N I don't know if this place is a real thing or whatever but yeah idk I just made it up) It's been maybe like 9 years we've been here but as I'm 4 months older than her, we were put in separate sections here at Maple. We're both turning 14 this year and honestly it's gonna be so great I think, well-I hope so. I also hope we can get adopted.

My mum died when I was 3 whilst in labour I was told but i don't really believe that or how would I be here.I don't really remember her but I do remember my dad. That rude, arrogant man. He left me and my biological siblings when I was a few years old, maybe when I was around 7?He left for Australia when my parents got divorced, well before my mum "died".He came back a month into being there only to move back out there 2 months later. He didn't write to us or message me or anything. Similar story with Kate I think? We don't like talking about our story openly to others but it is what it is. I do wish that whoever adopts me, or her next treats us right. And it'd be so cool if we were together!!

*flops onto bed*
Ahh that's relaxing.
I made a starfish pose on the large fluffy bed in my room and felt myself sinking and rising on it like a cloud. I heard a knock at the door and slung it wide open.

Still in text messages:
K: ohh Heyy gal you look half asleep.
G:yeah well that's cuz I pretty much am half asleep.
K:girly you gotta stop this.
G:stop what?
G:Also why are we texting, we're literally face to face.

"I really have no clue tbh babe" she whispered. "Okay, so idk bout you but I feel like going to grab something to eat from Costa this morning? Are you with me!" I asked. "Yesss I can't turn down ma bacon roll."
We crept down the hallway and reached Lady Lockwood's room. She is the most stubborn lady I have ever come into contact with. She acts that way normally when she's stressed or under pressure, so I understand her.Most of the other kids fear her, as she is the owner and founder of the Maple Orphanage. Kate banged on the door with "Do not disturb, don't try to turn back.. I will kill you" taped to the decrepit door, a large blood handprint stained into the rusting door. I tend to assume it's just fake blood on the door, it sure looks real though. We let out a sigh as she refused to answer the door and look us in the eyes and please us with our request. Instead we just got a "piss off you lazy slugs."

I just took it as an "okay do whatever girls." So me and K began strolling through along the narrow corridors, making sure that all the younger children in their ward were in line, cuz that's sort of our job.

Little kids end up cramming their chubby but cute baby hands into their tiny mouths and then sit at our feet signalling that they want us to lift them up. Kate just tends to knock them off her feet as she doesn't rlly like hanging around. I mean to be honest I like being swift and so I just pick them up and carry them to their play areas.

After half an hour of walking through this life-size human dollhouse, we reached the check in desk, grabbed our skateboards and skated down the marine lakes until we got to Costa. We queued for a few moments, ordered and sat on the Curb before making our Way to the pebble beach. Kate-being Kate, can't live without Tik Tok and Snapchat so obviously starts taking cute pics of us both and sending it to her priv stories and films some.. interesting.. Tik toks with me on the coast.

I have social anxiety I think and I just can't do things embarrassing in public. Although I'd like to be able to have the courage and ability to be free and to try get over the anxiety. If I could change one thing about myself, it'd be my confidence. I'd love to be like Sam and Colby who are my favourite YouTubers. All their vines and all These videos they film really must require some serious guts.

Unfortunately, the coast we were by was by my dads old apartment, so as we'd pace back and fore, sadness tried taking over me. Ignore it, ignore him, he left you and that's his fault, he's a fool and shouldn't exist," I'd tell myself until the guilty feeling disappeared.

On our journey back to the orphanage, we saw a little puppy who we'd never seen before, just darting towards us. It's lovely smooth, golden fur blowing in the cold air. We looked around it's neck and found scratches all over, discovering how it didn't haves lead or a collar on it. What made it even more strange was how we see the same people every day in the village we live in. We could tell everyone apart and even their pets yet we'd never seen this little golden retriever pup before.

 We could tell everyone apart and even their pets yet we'd never seen this little golden retriever pup before

I was training in photography. I didn't have enough money for a camera, but I'd take pictures of nature in my IPhone XR when I could. The camera quality wasn't great and if i was to turn to Kates phone, all you'd see would be cracks in her camera- from the frequent dropping her phone.I held the camera low to the ground and the puppy got in the frame. I felt the need to take a cute photo of it running through the grass.I was quite happy with how it turned out so went to walk away after petting the lonely dog.
We turned the corner and I heard this panting noise from beside me. The puppy had been following us all the way back.. almost like it wanted us to take care of it. I imagined Lockwood wouldn't allow it but "I suppose we could ask for an allowance raise to buy it food and a nice bed." I pictured.
"Yeah it can stay in your room and we can take it on walks and we don't have to be lonely anymore. And if we get adopted we can take the dog with us"- Kate said hyperly.

Kate and I let out a little screech, as did the puppy. It was a sweet moment. We remeber mhmmm here ser hadn't given our new puppy a name. "How about.. Maple" Kate suggested eagerly. "Maple it is!" Named after our orphanage, the gorgeous dog picked up a small twig in its minimal jaw and pounced at us playfully.

Hours passed. We spent most of the day playing with Maple outside and eventually got all sweaty, bothered and exhausted and decided to get back to the orphanage.
We had to sneak through a back entrance as the main door would've been shut as visiting hours were over, Climbing fences and making sure the pup wouldn't get hurt.

Dinner time came and went. All orphans normally have to leave their rooms as the bell goes. Get into a single filed line and march down the hall like army soldiers, down the thin halls and into the kitchen, with the trays in our hands with a selection of meals in front of us. I chose fish and chips with beans with a side of dog ice cream that they feed us. I don't like it particularly, so I placed it into my jogger pocket and went to go check on Maple, who was comfortably snuggled down into my bed.
Maple was dead asleep and I didn't want to wake her, so I left the ice cream on the window sill with the blinds shut so it wouldn't melt, and took a nice,warm,steamy shower. A perfect way to end the day.

A/N honestly idk what this is Im not sure if I like this or not. I have still have a bit of a plan for the rest of the book but I'm not sure. Hope you liked it! Some of the chapters do get pretty boring. Some of my favourites are Chapter 21 and Chapter 19 I think. It all gets better after maybe  chapter 3. Enjoy your reading.