Chapter 39 - The End

A swarm of Dementors was gliding amongst the trees as I approached; I could feel their chill, and I wasn't sure I would be able to pass safely through it. I had no strength left for a Patronus. I could no longer control my own trembling. It was not, after all, so easy to die. Every second I breathed, the smell of the grass, the cool air on my face, was so precious; to think that people had years and years, time to waste, so much time it dragged, and I was clinging to each second. At the same time I thought that I would not be able to go on, and knew that I must. The long game was ended, the Snitch had been caught, it was time to leave the air...

The Snitch. My nerveless fingers fumbled for a moment with my pocket and I pulled it out.

'I open at the close.'

Breathing fast and hard, I stared down at it. Now that I wanted time to move as slowly as possible, I seemed to have sped up, and understanding was coming so fast it seemed to have bypassed through. This was the close. This was the moment.

I pressed the golden metal to my lips and whispered, "I am about to fucking unalive."

The metal shell broke open. I giggled feebly; wow, the thing actually understood my memeing. I lowered my shaking hand, raised my wand beneath the Cloak, and murmured, "Lumos."

The black stone with its jagged crack running down the centre sat in the two halves of the Snitch. The centre of Marvolo's ring.

Okay? What was this meant to do? I closed my eyes, taking a deep breath, and turned the stone over in my hand. Dumbledore, again, leaving me weird messages and clues that I had no idea how to decipher...

I knew something had happened, because I heard slight movements around me that suggested frail bodies shifting their footing on the earthy, twig-strewn ground that marked the outer edge of the forest. I opened my eyes and looked around frantically.

They were neither ghost nor truly flesh, I could see that. They resembled most closely the Riddle that had escaped from the diary so long ago, and he had been memory made nearly solid. Less substantial than living bodies, but much more than ghosts, they moved toward me. And on each face, there was the same loving smile.

James was exactly the same height as Harry. He was wearing the clothes in which he had died, and his hair was untidy and ruffled, and his glasses were a little lopsided, like Mr Weasley's.

Lupin was younger too, and much less shabby, and his hair was thicker and darker. He looked happy to be back in this familiar place, scene of so many adolescent wanderings.

Amy looked slightly older than she was when she had left us, and her long, straight, dark hair shimmered as she rested her hands in the pockets of her Ravenclaw uniform.

Lily's smile was widest of all. She pushed her long hair back as she drew closer to me, and her green eyes, so like mine, searched my face hungrily, as though she would never be able to look at me enough.

"You've been so brave."

I couldn't speak. My eyes feasted on her, and I thought that I too would like to stand and look at her forever.

"You are nearly there." James said. "Very close. We are... so proud of you. My little girl..."

"Does it hurt?"

The childish question had fallen from my lips before I could stop it.

"Dying? Not at all, Daze." Amy said. "Quicker and easier than falling asleep. But that's not much coming from me; I had insomnia."

She grinned as I laughed weakly.

"And he will want it to be quick. He wants it over." Lupin said.

"I didn't want you to die." I said. These words came without my volition. "Any of you. I'm sorry -"