109

Cry

"Tell me one smart thing you've ever done, quickly," Xenophilius challenged.

I shoved his shoulder, enraged at the playful smirk on his face. He stumbled into Pandora as he laughed loudly.

"My entire existence is smart. I'm so intelligent that if I told you all the smart things I've done, you wouldn't even understand what I'm saying," I responded.

In the corner of my eye, I saw the professor team huddled on the small porch of her house. Remus turned around with his hands on his hips as the other two looked away from each other. The most boring thing out of this whole investigation. So glad I chose the orphanage. Not like I had a choice.

"She's right. Literally so smart that it took me a minute to figure out what she was saying," Padfoot supported.

I led the way up to my orphanage. With a smug smile I made eye contact with Xenophilius. He mocked my smile then rolled his eyes.

"I'm the smartest out of all of us," Pandora seriously announced.

"Yes, I am— Wait," Xenophilius began.

They turned to each other with an academic competitive spirit that neither Padfoot or I could ever relate to. The only thing we have ever competed on regarding school was who could get the lowest grade on an exam. I guessed on all of the questions but somehow he ended up winning. I don't know if that says anything good about us.

I turned my heels into the walkway with a familiar movement I've had for my whole childhood. The hot wind picked up and ruffled the skirt of my white dress. I pat it down before approaching the steps.

"Now, you three must be well mannered. They don't like delinquents, just to let you know," I warned.

Xenophilius looked me up and down with distaste before turning away. Sirius snickered and voiced what the others must have thought judging on their behavior.

"So how'd you turn out like this?" he teased.

"My friends! They are absolute bad influences! I've told them thousands of times and they take pity on me. They always tell me that I'm easily taken advantage of," I joked with a wail.

Pandora scoffed as the others giggled. I'm so funny, aren't I? With that, I knocked on the door. I heard footsteps on the other side.

"Do I need to talk to someone about my intentions with you? I'm kind of nervous, Fawkes," Sirius whispered.

"No, Merlin, no. Just be normal," I replied.

He nodded, awkwardly patting his hair. He seemed uncomfortable as he posed. I narrowed my eyes at him, opening my mouth to ask him what the hell he's doing.

The door swung open. I looked back, cutting off my earlier remark. The grouchy old caretaker that I've lived with greeted me. She stared at me apathetically. I guess they disregard their past children when they're of age.

"Mrs. Cole! How long has it been? I've brought some friends that wanted to see where I grew up. I think I left some things here too," I began stiffly.

"Miss Phoenix, what an unexpected pleasure. I'm afraid we don't have your belongings anymore. Not since you disappeared a year and a half ago," she told flatly.

I stepped inside without invitation. It's fine. She never was a civil person to speak with. Especially when she was upset. After years, her short talk dwindled to nothing from what I heard. So I had the blessing of growing up with an emotionally unavailable matron.

"Yeah, sorry about that. I ran into an inconvenience that lasted about that long. Was hoping... Where are the others?"

Her dispassionate gaze unsettled me. I glanced at Sirius and his casual expression morphed into worry when he saw mine. Mrs. Cole retook her place behind the desk, sitting like a robot in her wheely chair.

"The others?" she asked.

"Yes, Mrs. Cole, the children, the caretakers. Where are they?" I repeated.

"Not sure. What did you say you needed?" she responded.

Immediately, I took Sirius' wrist and pulled him closer to me. I ducked my head and spoke to him quietly, "You and X go check out the rooms. Something's not right."

He nodded. When I let him go, he motioned for Xenophilius to follow. The latter followed with an inconspicuous confused look. I watched their backs disappear and refocused on the caretaker.

She didn't seem to take notice of the boys leaving. Pandora tugged on the ribbon on the sleeve of my dress. I stood near her in case something happens.

"What happened, Mrs. Cole? The orphanage has never been this quiet," I questioned.

"They took care of it. We're in better hands now," she deadpanned.

Fear struck my core when I heard her. Her neck craned like she was stretching out a stiff muscle. My lids began to widen when I tried to grasp the situation.

"Who took care of what? Who are we talking about?" Pandora urged.

"The deatheaters, of course," she answered.

Despair encased my whole body. They wouldn't, would they? They're always one step ahead of us. My heartbeat quickened and I held tightly to my wand. Are they here? Have they done this months before?

Heavy footfalls entered the room. Padfoot stopped when we made eye contact. We shared a dreadful countenance. Xenophilius hurried to Pandora's side, pulling her under his arm protectively.

"The children...They're all gone. And there's blood," Padfoot gravely told.

My veins went cold. With terror and an overwhelming disappointment in myself, I staggered back. How...how did he know we were coming here? This is all my fault. He must have known and decided to cut all his loose ends. There's nothing left here. Just tragedy.

"They should be dead by now. Dead, dead, dead," Mrs. Cole declared.

"How could you let this happen? Are you with them?" Pandora cried.

I couldn't say anything. There were dozens of kids living here. All the ones that I grew up with, the ones that I took care of. Even the ones that I didn't know...all innocent lives.

"Voldemort told me to wait here for you. And to ring this bell? See?" she explained, ignoring Pandora.

Rigidly, I peered at her arm in the air. A little bell pinched between her two fingers. This is all wrong. What am I going to do? How am I going to fix this?

"Don't let her ring the bell!" Sirius shouted.

He made way toward her. But there was no stopping her. Her wrist flicked and we all prepared for the worst. My back met the wall as the strength in my legs gave out on me.

A haunting chime resounded.

Silence followed.

-lana