36

"Look at you. Your hair is so nappy! Dirty Hufflepuff."

Blinking, I propped my lollipop into my mouth and looked over my shoulder. I fisted the grass in my hand and pulled at the blades. They popped out of the ground and I ran them between my fingers.

Iris swallowed and stepped backward. Her head lowered and she kept her eyes trained at her sneakers. Her bottom lip trembled in frustration.

Sighing, I turned back to my friends. Lily threw a pebble at Sirius and he gasped as if he was struck with a deadly blast.

I chewed on the candy and the paper stick came out. A satisfying crunch emits but it did scratch the top of my mouth.

"Even your skin is dirty. Ours is white and you're such a sore thumb among us."

I furrowed my brows, stabbing the paper stick of my lollipop into the grass. My friends quieted as they noticed my demeanor. Their expressions showed confusion and curiosity.

"What's up?" Wormtail wondered.

I swallowed the rest of the candy and got to my feet. Wiping my hands on my skirt, I prepared myself to defend my girl out there.

"Where are you going, Fawkes?" Prongs questioned.

Without answering him, I turned and made my way to Iris.

My feet sunk into the grass as I walked over. I licked my lips and almost combust out of rage right before I even made it to them. As I approached the little bully and Iris, their attentions shifted and eyes flickered to my figure.

Iris' saddened eyes struck my heart and I felt a lot of the pain behind it. Her fingernail picked on a string that protrude from her robes nervously.

"Oi, Cry, here to join me?" Dylan called, amusement in his tone.

His wide smile disgustingly spread across his face and I could've thrown up. I grew closer to them and I'm only a foot away.

Wordlessly, I swung my fist.

My knuckles rammed into his cheek and I felt his jaw slam against the bones of my fingers where pain ran up them but I suppressed it.

His body reacted to the blow and he stumbled backward. Right when my fist left his face, he grasped it with his hand to nurture it.

I shook the pain out of my hand and smiled at the blood that trickled from the corner of his mouth.

"You fucking bitch," he spat.

"Mmm, yeah, sounds bout right," I confirmed.

"Fawkes?! What the hell?" Moony exclaimed from behind me.

The sound of footsteps on greenery resonated and I know a couple of students have gone inside the castle to alert a professor as my friends rush to gather around us.

"You okay, Iris?" I asked.

I turned my body towards her and she nodded, pushing back some of her pretty hair out of her eyes.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I could've handled it though," she reassured.

"I know," I replied.

She didn't smile but I did see a bit of gratitude in her eyes. Our eye contact broke as Filch walked off the cement of the castle into the green.

"God.. if you were a guy, I would hit you," Dylan sneered.

Involuntarily, my shoulders went back slightly and I assumed an offensive position. Glaring at him didn't seem like enough, maybe I should punch him again.