Chapter 26

Christopher 

When the time comes to leave for our trip, I feel how Katherine is trying to hide her nervousness, but fails miserably. It's mostly about her past, I know that. But I think she's also excited too, that she'll see her family and friends. I am definitely excited to see where she lived and spent her time as a child and a teenager. I want to meet her parents and friends. See the city. I have never been to Los Angeles. I've been in many countries and cities but never in L.A. The best part is that I won't be a tourist there. Katherine will show me all the places where she went and hopefully I'll know my girl a little better.

"Ladies and gentlemen, can I have your attention, please. JetBlue Airlines Flight B6 535 for Los Angeles is now boarding at gate B-7."

The announcement says at the airport and we head for the business class line. Even for a half and hour flight, her dad gets her a business class ticket. It was hard for me to find a ticket on the same flight as hers. You would be surprised how many people are flying to goddamn Los Angeles for Christmas. We give our boarding passes for scan and they check our passports before we walk through the boarding bridge. When we get into the plane and pass the greeting flight attendants, Katherine sits next to the window at the second row of business class and I take my seat next to her. I had to switch places with Harvey, as her dad got their seats next to each other, like he wants them to kill each other.

Katherine is being exceptionally quiet today. I take her hand to comfort her and she gives me a smile.

"Are you okay?" I ask her.

"Yes, I am." She assures me with a smile and leans into my shoulder.

Harvey, who was getting a snack before the boarding, only now gets into the plane.

"Just don't fuck in the bathrooms." He says, as he walks past us to his seat. Katherine shows him a middle finger and he goes down to sit two rows away from us.

"Ugh! I hate him." She says and literally shakes from anger.

"Why do you hate him so much?" I ask her and she looks away. Oh, I know what she's doing. It's something that she has to explain too long and she's trying to get away from it. "Katherine." I press and she looks back, with that face when her lips are pouted in annoyance.

"Family disagreements." She says and looks at the flight attendant that walks down the aisle.

"Baby..." I say and she rolls her eyes.

"He doesn't see himself as a Black." She says and shrugs saying 'that simple'.

"And?"

"Well not that I'll tell you the whole argument, but basically. He doesn't see himself as a Black and that he's a Wilson and I said, if he's not a Black then he's not my brother." She says casually and I stare at her blankly.

Is she seriously saying that her blood related brother is not her brother if he doesn't accept being in his biological family? Well, I guess that makes kind of sense. It's not like their parents gave them away, they just died.

"And why do you care so much?" I ask her.

She has this obsession with her family that I don't get. She even has a tattoo related to them. She sees herself as a Black. She even once told me that she doesn't see the Wilson's as her family. She says that she always feels like an outsider and I want to understand why.

"Because, either he's my brother or he's not." She says and leans back at her seat.

I guess I understand her. Their problems are complicated and she has every right to want to know her real family or say that she's part of it. She just expects the same thing from her brother and he doesn't feel the same.