Chapter 27

Katherine 

When we go back downstairs my mom finishes setting the dinner table. Amy and Kevin are watching something and dad is getting our bags from the car. I spot Harvey through the window to see that he is playing basketball.

"Let's all eat." My mom says and I walk outside to call Harvey for dinner.

"Back to your usual I see." I say to him when I walk onto the driveway, Chris next to me.

"Want to play?" Harvey asks Chris.

"Yeah." He replies.

"After dinner boys." I say and they smile. "Come on. Mom made lasagna." I inform Harvey and he rolls his eyes.

He throws the ball into the basket and walks over to us, "You know... she never makes my favorites, only yours." He says and I feel slightly guilty. Don't know why, it's not like I tell her to do that.

We walk back into the house and sit at the table. Dad sits at the head of the table. Me, Chris and Harvey at one side. Mom, Amy and Kevin on the other side.

"When will Diana be arriving?" My mom asks as we pile up our plates with food.

"Technically at eight. But their flight got delayed so it may take a while." I say and take a bite from lasagna. I might joke about my mom making it for me all the time, but it tastes delicious.

"Christopher, have you been to Los Angeles before?" My dad asks.

"No, I haven't actually." Chris says.

"Well then honey, you should take him to sightseeing while you're here." My dad tells me and I nod.

"We will. There are a lot of things that I want to do while I'm here. But we will." I inform them.

"What things?" Amy asks, being the noisy one.

"I want to see my friends and spend some time with them. Then you too of course. Visit a couple of places... where I used to go." I know that I shouldn't have said that. They're all thinking about Logan now. "Have fun mostly." I say to ease the tension that I've created myself.

"We should go to the beach this weekend. Before you go." Mom says and drinks from her water.

"Yeah, sure." I say.

"Beach is boring." Amy complaints.

"Christopher, what are your parents doing for Christmas?" My mom asks to shut up Amy.

"My mom usually throws a Christmas dinner and my dad... Well, he's alone in London. He's probably meeting with his friends." Chris tries to answer without telling the complication in their family. I take his hand under the table and he squeezes in appreciation.

"Your parents are from England right?" My dad asks with curiosity. He has that protective dad look on his face.

"Yes, they are both from London." He answers.

"Just like Katherine and Harvey." Amy blurts out.

"Yes Amy... just like us." I say with a little irritation. I don't care if she actually says anything. Chris already knows this. It's just that this topic is off limits in our 'family' and no one speaks it.

"How did you move to America?" My mom asks Chris nicely, ignoring Amy.

"My mom got a job offer here. We moved when I finished elementary school." He answers. They are interrogating him...

"What does she do for a living?" My dad asks casually while taking a bite from his food.

"She has a company that throws events. She's also in some investments. That's what got her here. She got an offer from a successful businessman. They've become partners in one of those investments." Chris explains. I didn't know what his mother was doing. That's the only thing that I never got an answer for. Not that I asked. He always changes the subject when it comes to her.

Wait.

Did he say, company that throws events? And I basically made a cocky remark about one of them, in front of her... God!

I shoot him a glare and he looks at me questioningly. Oh... you're gonna wish you told me that before...

"And what does your father do?" My mom asks.

"He is an English professor at Oxford." He says and Amy coughs.

"Oxford?" She gasps.

"That is certainly really interesting." Mom says with a smile.

"How are the bosses treating you dad?" Harvey asks to probably change the subject from 'Let's get to know our daughter's boyfriend'.

"Oh, fine. I haven't left the place yet, so it's fine for now." Dad says with an assuring smile. He's miserable there.

"When are you going to show me that dance?" I ask Amy and her eyes light up in excitement.

"Now, if you want." She says eagerly.

"Finish your dinner first honey." Mom tells her and she pouts.

"It's fine. She won't eat anything now anyway." I say and stand up from the table.

Amy runs outside to the backyard and I follow her.