Chapter 4

The night has overtaken the city. Everybody was sound asleep. Two hours ago, my family and I went to bed. And I'm still waiting Mika to sneak out of this house. But there was no sound. I felt how my body was drifting into sleep. But I couldn't yet fall asleep. At least not now. Every passing second my eyes got heavier and heavier until they were fully closed. I couldn't keep up anymore and I was giving up my hopes. Though suddenly, I heard something rustling and moving. My eyes flew open immediately and I turned slowly around, catching a glimpse of Mika climbing the ladder down quietly. I too stood up carefully and tiptoed without any noise to the ladders. I waited until the door went shut and climbed down in a swift and waltzed towards the door. As I came out of the house it was dark outside and only some streetlamps shone some light on the streets. I, instantly, saw Mika strolling along one of the streets. Like a shot, I followed him and hid behind every corner, so that he couldn't see me. Everything was going smoothly until I lost track of him. But how? 'Where did he go to?' I started to sprint down the streets while trying to subsidise some noise, but I couldn't find him anymore. "He got to be kidding me", I muttered in disbelief. I continued to wander about another ten minutes searching for him until hearing some loud talking made me come to an abrupt hold. Carefully, I dared to take a glimpse into the next street. And like I already have assumed those were city guards. Three city guards to be exact. My breath got stuck in my throat and my heartbeat increased excessively. Certainly, I got no chance against them. I slowly turned around and made a step but, unluckily, the guards grew suddenly suspicious. "Who is there?!", one of them managed to yell out. On cue, I started to dash away as fast as my feet could carry me, adrenalin pumping through my veins. Not long after I stopped seeing that nobody was actually following me, I exhaled some air that I held in. "Puhh, that was definitely a close one", I concluded with a relieved smile. But out of nowhere, I got a sudden shudder and an odd sensation creeped to me. I tensed up out of fear as I could depict that something was unquestionably watching me. Alertly, I turned around, only to see an empty street. There was nobody. At once, I started to increase my pace, turning to every corner while still having this lingering feeling that somebody was watching me. 'Sorry Mika, but I have to leave you behind and get the hell out of here", I thought to myself. My fear growing stronger at every step I took. Unfortunately, I got kind of lost and the feeling that somebody is following me now increased rapidly. Whoever it was, there was no escape for me. I already was running down the streets for my dear life, puffing like some steam locomotive, legs hurting and my lungs burning. I could now hear the footsteps echoing on the pebbled ground which were approaching me very quickly. And before I could turn into a further corner, I got slammed against a wall of a house. A scream of fear and terror wanted to escape me, but a gloved hand covered my mouth shut, and only muffled sounds came out of my mouth. Tears at the prick of my eyes were ready to escape. I couldn't see who it was as it was dark at the side alley. But from the speed and strength it could only possibly be a vampire. I wanted to kick him even though I knew it was hopeless. In response, his grip around my wrist got only stronger. "Now, now, my little lamb, you shouldn't be loud and make some wrong moves, unless you want to die by the hungry city guards out there.", spoke a very smooth and calm voice. My fear immediately melted away and I stopped struggling. I couldn't explain this phenomenon, but his voice was like a sweet remedy that cured away my distressed state of mind. "Very good", he continued in his euphonious voice," walking this late at night, especially near Ferid Bathory's mansion is quite dangerous for a such little livestock as you. Not to mention it is forbidden to walk at this late hour." 'Is he kidding me. Was I really that near the mansion? I feel pathetic' Suddenly I felt the vampire's grip loosening and his other hand leaving my mouth. I looked at him bewildered. "Go, as long as you have the time. But go another route. Or else you won't make it back to your house, (y/n) Hyakuya." I was utterly shocked. How on earth did he know my name. But I didn't need some extra invitation and took his lead and started to run off yet again. The only thing the dimmed light allowed me to see of his feature was a tall body and a long dark-coloured braid, that came over his shoulder on the left side of his neck, before he fully disappeared in the darkness of the streets. I was running for my dear life and in front of my view, my house appeared. I quickly entered it and went straight to kitchen getting some water and calming down some of my nerves that went loose and my breath as well. As I was fully recovered from the happening, I tiptoed to the ladders and climbed them up. When I reached the top, I was relieved that everybody was still asleep, and nobody heard anything of the ruckus I just caused. I laid down on my sleeping spot and let my thoughts run free. 'I don't understand it, he had his chance, so why didn't he kill me or at least tried my blood?' A tear ran down my face. 'I was so stupid. I should've told Mika at the beginning that he isn't going alone. Because of my foolishness I could have had lost my life today, if it wasn't for the vampire who saved me from my certain death. But I still don't get it. What was his purpose saving me from these guards and from where did he know my name? The only thing I know right now is that the even though he was a vampire, whose name I don't even know, saved me and spared me; and for that I'm going to be thankful.' And with that I finally closed my eyes, and a small smile made its way on my lips. Soon the darkness overtook me.