Chapter 7

As I opened my eyes it was already nighttime. The sky was full of stars that twinkled lightly, and the moon shone brightly allowing still to see the surroundings. I immediately remembered the occasion that has taken place here. But at that time, it was still day outside. 'So how long was I gone out?', I asked myself quizzically. I touched then carefully the spot on my neck where I was bitten. To my surprise I did not come in contact with my bare skin but with some kind of fabric. No rather a patch. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion before the memory of the arrival of the unknown third party occurred to me. I quickly stood up on my feet ignoring the sting on my neck and began to walk wobbly. However, as soon as I was walking my legs gave in and I was falling. Mentally, I already prepared myself for a contact with the solid ground. But. Nothing happened. I opened my eyes and saw how I was held tightly by my arm by a gloved-hand. "Now, now, my little lamb. We don't want you to get more hurt now, do we?" A deep voice spoke calmly. I quickly spined my head at this somehow familiar voice and was met with crimson eyes starring directly at me. I gasped a loud. At the same time, I could not contain myself from examining his features. From his clothes style you can undeniably say that he was a noble vampire. But before I could continue viewing him, he pulled my arm and grabbed under my knees holding me up in a bride style. He then started to walk with a smile on his lips but without any words escaping them. Since I was weak and defenceless, I leaned on his broad shoulder and glanced at him. Instead of fear I felt safety and calmness which should have been impossible. 'What's wrong with you (y/n)' I mentally slapped myself, 'He is a vampire for crying out loud. A noble one to be more precise.' Yet, I felt like I already have met him once somewhere and, thus, felt guarded. He was very tall and well-build and actually pretty handsome. What struck me the most was his hair that was made into a braid. Suddenly, I remembered. He was the one who has rescued me the first time back at the vampire city. I couldn't believe it. But slowly, I felt again that I was jumping into unconsciousness, so the only word that I could bring out weakly were "Why?"

"Hmm...what why?", he hummed, his gaze remained focused on the front.

"Why did you rescue me? Why? You rescued me already once and spared me. Four years ago."

He didn't respond though and continued to walk. In spite of everything, I sensed his grip tighten a little bit on me. What ever the reason must have been, and the price I must pay in the future, I will eventually find out, but for now, I will drop it as I knew I couldn't hold myself conscious any longer.

"Thank you", I pressed those two words out genuinely. And again, I was welcomed with darkness. But this time I held a smile. Because I knew that I would live for another day. I knew who my saviour was. And I knew that I could never kill this vampire. Even if it means betraying humanity.

The last words that I could catch from him were: "I don't know myself, why I did that."

Later I opened my eyes like for the hundredth time on this day, being welcomed then with a very bright light. "The heck actually", I mumbled annoyingly and shelted my eyes with my hand from this penetrating light. As my eyes adjusted to the light, I immediately was crushed into a massive hug. "Where the hell were you, (y/n)?", Yuu asked sternly but happily at the same time. "Do you even know that you've been missing for more than a half of the day", he exclaimed. His voice showing off worry. He let then go of me and waited for my explanation. I sighed.

"Yuu I'm sorry... But my squad and I got attacked suddenly by the vampires. We didn't see that coming. So, we were taking of guard. And...", I paused recalling the scene of my dying comrades, „And I'm the only survivor." Realising it, my heart felt heavy.

"I see", Yuu breathed out in a tiny voice. "But you need to know that it's not your fault what happened out there. You were unprepared. By the way, we are both in the same boat. I lost my squad as well, because I was to foolish and ignorant of myself" I looked at my brother pitifully. I pursed my lips in sadness knowing that he went through the same as I did. I put my hand on his shoulder squeezing it slightly in comfort. I blinked my upcoming tears away. The atmosphere became suffocating, and I couldn't stand it any longer. I cleared my throat as it became unbearably dry.

"Oh, by the way, Yuu, how exactly did I end up here...I mean I can't really remember coming back because I kind of lost my consciousness."

"As your squad went missing, Guren and his team went for an immediate search. Luckily, they have found you not far away from one of our smaller bases just outside our walls."

"Guren, really?! This means I have to tell him my thanks."

"Yeah, that's for sure. (Y/n), I meant to ask you something," Yuu began in hesitation.

Meanwhile I got up of the bed and went to the sink cleaning my face. The slowly growing anger in his voice, however, didn't go undetected by me. I grew confused as I processed with my cleaning.

"What is it, Yuu?", I dared to inquire.

"Did you get... bitten?"

I stopped in abrupt. Looking into mirror, I adjoined with Yuu's furious eyes. 'Oh god. Whatever happens stay calm (y/n) and don't mention the other noble vampire that was at the later scene.'

"Yes, as we were fighting, I didn't see a vampire coming from behind... But don't worry he is dead", I semi-lied while thinking of the noble one. I turned off the faucet and faced the boy behind me again. Our gazes collided and the room went silent. Even though Yuu relaxed and suppressed his fury, I knew that he wasn't satisfied with my answer or let me put it differently he knew that I was hiding something. He opened his mouth to voice out his complaint, but I beat him to it, ending the discussion sharply. "It's past now, Yuu. Don't dwell on it. It will heal sooner or later"