Chapter 8

After this accident, Yuu and I got later sent back into "normal" high school as some sorts of punishment. Our task from Guren was to find friends or we can never leave the walls again. Especially, Yuu was very pissed and didn't see the point in it. Complaining and whining all day long. Compared to him I actually could comprehend Guren's thought. The main key problem was that Yuu lacked teamwork and, thus, doesn't want to relay on others. But I don't blame him, especially after we have lost our family...It same went for me though, but my real problem was, that I blamed myself constantly and overthought too much, leading to fatal results. At the beginning it was a bit difficult but we both managed and now we have found three additional friends. Shinoa from the Hiiragi Family, Kimizuki and Yoichi. We actually went quite good along, a part of Yuu and Kimizuki, who were bickering nonstop like an old married couple.

"So which weapon do you hope to get, (y/n)?", Shinoa asked me curiosly. We were now on the way to receive our own Demon weapons as Guren has promised us. Besides that Shinoa was the only one in our squad who already had a weapon and a contract with a demon.

"Hmm...Let me think. Maybe a polearm", I thought out loud, as I already had fascination for it in the past thanks to all the movies and games, which I watched or played previously.

"Interesting choice", she hummed next to me in excitement. We continued our walk while talking about different weapons.

"By the way, how does it work. I mean this whole contract with a demon?", I inquired quizzically. The three boys too becoming interested.

"Well", Shinoa began, "Basically you choose first of all a weapon and as soon as you touch it you lose your consciousness. The demon then plays tricks on your mind while using your memories."

"That's harsh", Yoichi piped in, sounding terrified.

"You can say that. Though if you manage to withstand that whole ordeal, then you can kind of make a contract, but if yo- "

"Fail it, the demon will take over your body, which means the person has to die for safety reasons"

Everybody turned abruptly, facing the Lieutenant Colonel Ichinose Guren.

"WHAT", we bursted out shockingly in unison. Horror all written over our faces.

"So, kiddos you ready", Guren stated ignoring expertly our exclamation.

Soon we then arrived at the place. Each of us was instructed by Guren to choose our weapon and begin with the process. Happily, I walked up to one spot where a polearm was laying. I turned once to Yuu giving him the thumbs up. He returned the gesture with a cheeky grin. "(y/n) let's make a bet. The first who gets a contract with a demon and gets back, wins"

"And if you lose?", I asked growing suddenly interested.

"Then you have to do the cleaning for a whole week" 'Disgusting', I thought to myself as memories flashed back, but nevertheless I smirked, feeling now all fired up. "Geez, you should take it more serious. I didn't bring you all here down for some play date", Guren grumbled with a irritated voice.

"Fine. Challenge accepted. Let the game begin." As soon as I said it, we both touched our weapons simultaneously.