The Ending

"You judged her based on how I treated her, Kael. But if only you could see her soul instead of your baseless assumptions, then Gianna would have been the most beautiful woman in your eyes."

Lola Antonia was right. I judged her based on how she treated her. Tinuring niyang apo si Gianna. She almost spoiled her, giving her everything she needed and wanted. She played best as a grandmother. Pero hindi niya kailanman nagawa iyon kay Ayla. Hindi siya kailanman nagpaka-lola sa kapatid ko.

Ayla deserves the same treatment. She deserves to be lola Antonia's granddaughter kahit pa sabihin niyang wala ni patak ng dugo niya ang nananalaytay sa dugo ng kapatid ko.

"I know a part of how you treated her is my fault," lola sighed. "And I am very sorry for that, apo. Pero alam mo naman kung saan at bakit ka nagkulang... kaya nagawa niyang umalis."

I run my hands down on my face because of too much frustration. I just got home from New York. Pinuntahan ko ang pamilya niya roon, nagbakasakaling naroon siya. But to my dismay, she wasn't there. And her dad also has no idea where his daughter is.

"Kasalanan ko po 'to, lola. Kasalanan ko ang lahat ng 'to," I admitted. Dahil iyon ang totoo. Walang ibang dapat na sisihin sa pag-alis niya kung 'di ako.

If only I treated her right...

If only I weren't cruel to her...

If only I weren't harsh in words and actions...

If only I didn't blame her for taking lola's attention away from my sister...

If only I focused on how I truly felt for her...

Then hindi kami aabot sa ganito. Hindi siya aalis. Hindi niya ako iiwan.

Nasa refrigerator na ang dinner mo, baby. Initin mo na lang ulit mamaya. I love you! See you again tomorrow! -G

Inalis ko ang post it note sa pinto ng refrigerator at agad na tinapon iyon sa basurahan.

I hate to admit it pero hindi mahirap magustuhan si Iya. Since we were engaged, she's already playing the role of a housewife. Ipinaglilinis niya ako ng condo at ipinaghahanda ng pagkain sa araw-araw, walang mintis. Kahit na pagod na pagod galing school at duty sa hospital, she made sure my condo is clean and I have something to eat. Kaya sinong hindi mahuhulog sa kanya?

Ako... hindi ako pwedeng mahulog sa kanya.

Kung hindi lang siguro niya inagaw ang pwesto ni Ayla sa lola ko, then probably things were different.

I liked her first. That's the truth only I knew. The moment her mamita, lola's best friend, brought her home, I started to like her. We were both 13. She's the bubbliest girl I have ever met. She has lots of things to say. She shares lots of stories and most of them were funny. She's like sunshine and her happy vibes radiate, it makes the people around her happy like her.

"I like Gianna for, Kael. I know this is still very early pero gusto ko ang batang 'yon para sa apo ko, Alondra," lola told mommy. They're both sitting in the living room, enjoying their teatime together.

I could hear them from the door of my game room downstairs. This has been my room at lola's house, but I eventually turned it into a game room since I don't sleep here often.

I didn't know mommy was here since I have been staying inside the room almost the whole day. Hindi ako pumasok sa school so I shouldn't go out. Hindi ako pwedeng makita ni mommy dahil ang alam niya ay nasa school ako. But lola knew I cut classes. She was just covering me.

Mommy chuckled. She put her teacup on the table and looked at lola with so much poise and elegance.

She's grooming Ayla like her. She may not be her biological daughter, pero nagiging magkamukha sila dahil sa ayos at kilos nila.