XII

1984
Hawkins Indiana

'Chapter Six: The Spy'

'Through the hole'

We still travel in the car in silence. Night has casted over us as the radio plays as Steve drives to Dustin's house. My gaze turns to the trees outside in the dark trying to keep my gaze away from Steve. I know we're going to have to talk about the kiss but what do I say. Yes Steve I've fallen for you since the first kiss and I've fallen for you more since you've gave me the necklace? It's too hot in this car, I can barely breathe yet alone think.

The radio continues to play as Steve breaks the silence. "Wait a sec how big?" He questions Dustin wanting to know the size of Dart. For all I know he could have grown by now or should I say it could have grown by now since we don't know it's gender. This is all too confusing.

"First he was like that-" dustin shows using his fingers. "Now he's like this-" he says using both his hands making a bigger body as Steve watches him as well as keeping an eye on the road. If we crash I'm blaming Steve, it's going to be his fault one way or another since he's the one driving.

"I swear to God man, it's just some little lizard okay?" Steve says festering his hand about and I whip my head leaning forward between them. "It's not a lizard. No way in hell that could be a lizard. Steve it's bigger than a lizard and a whole other creature" I question rolling my eyes and frowning. "How do you know if it's not a lizard" Steve questions raising his voice.

"Because his face opened up and ate my cat!" Dustin yells back and my eyes flicker between them both. The car goes back into silence and I groan. Finally we make it to Dustin's, that car ride was too awkward for me and I'm an awkward person. We get out and Steve pops his trunk pulling out the bat with nails as we make our way down the stairs.

Me and Steve glance at each other as we make our way to the basement. My heart starts racing as my palms become sweaty. One look at Steve makes me loose all self control and start to self destruct. This effect he has on me is too much. Dustin hits my shoulder and rolls his eyes.

Dustin comes to a halt as Steve looks over and nods for me to come closer to him. Dustin looks at me funny and I shake my head dramatically walking on over to Steve. "I don't hear shit" he states flashing the flashlight. "He is in there." I declare whispering as the grass hoppers jump around us. A gush of air hits my face cooling my body down after the car. Steve turns to Dustin and then to me as he passes me the flashlight.

I take the flashlight out of his hand as our fingertips graze one another's shooting our eyes up at each other. Steve lightly hits his bat on the opening and darts his tongue out concentrating. His tongue throws me off guard, focus Julie focus. He hits the bat down harder, no noise of Dart appears which is odd since he's down there.