「and the final battle begins」

第三十六话

"I am happy to hear that you've decided to join the Pillar Training, Tomioka-san."

"Tanjirou and Akiho came by."

"Oh my, they've done something none of us pillars could do. Shinazugawa-san was going on a tirade after you left that day, you know. Himejima-san had to calm him down."

"...I don't mind him."

Shinobu giggled behind her hand at the male's pragmatic response. "That's probably why he dislikes you so much."

"Do you tell everyone that?" Giyuu confronted with a small frown.

"Ah...?"

"That I am disliked by others."

The smaller woman stared at him with those unreadable purple eyes before a smile graced her face. Although he was kind man at heart, he sourly lacked social awareness and it caused people to dislike him. She didn't have to intentionally spread something that was known to many as fact...

"No? But if it is any consolidation, I don't dislike you."

"..."

"If I am to be honest, I am quite envious of you."

Giyuu blinked in surprise. "Why?"

"You're very considerate even when it comes to demons. In a way, you remind me of Kanae nee-san."

Giyuu remembered meeting the former Flower Pillar in the past when he had just became a pillar in replacement of the retired Urokodaki. In his distant memories, Kanae was always cheerful and showed pity to demons for their unfortunate situation. It was a true tragedy when the news of the young pillar had passed after encountering an Upper Moon swept through the Corps, and leaving Shinobu, who was only a tsuchinoto at the time, alone with their adoptive little sister Kanao.

To think of it, that was around the time he first encountered the Kamado siblings on that snowy mountain. He had sent them to his master with the hopes that Nezuko was truly different from other demons and wouldn't harm humans. He had pitied them, in a way.

"I've always been envious of those who can see the light from a world of darkness... Every time I try to give demons the benefit of the doubt, they only show me that they cheat and lie," she confessed. "But I think I'm finally starting to see it now, the light that Kanae nee-san and you see."

"But?" he asked.

"Pardon?"

"It sounds like you still hold a lot of resentment?"

It was Shinobu's turn to look surprised. Despite how socially unaware she thought the Water Pillar was, he could still tell what she was thinking. Her small hands curled into fists on her side as she sighed.