「demon in the guest house」

第四话

A girl...? No... A boy?

Those thoughts shouldn't even matter since Akiho was acutely aware of the danger she was in. She can withstand the sun, but she wasn't immune; a sword that absorbs sunlight was sure to end her half-demon life as well. The nichirin sword didn't waver as it pointed at her throat, and he demon slayer that stood before her was young—younger than her even—yet he had the aura of someone who was many times stronger than her.

Mint green eyes stared at her blankly, "Oh. You're a demon slayer."

His voice was soft, but it was enough for her to decipher that he was a guy after all.

She let out a breath of relief as the white sword was pulled away and sheathed once again. Never has she been more glad that her general appearance resembled more human than demon, because she was certain that the boy wouldn't have hesitated to kill her otherwise.

"Why are you in my room?" he asked.

"Oh, sorry! I am the demon slayer assigned to this town about a demon attack. My name is Higashikuze Akiho, mizunoto," she explained as she sheathed her own sword. "I came to check up on any guests that are staying in this guest house because they seem to be vanishing. Were you assigned here as well?"

"I only stopped by this town after a mission... I think..." he said as he sat down and looked out the window. A few silent moments passed by as he seemed to be lost in thought before he turned back to look at the girl. "Why are you in my room again?"

What...? Akiho blinked incredulously. Didn't she just tell him? He's a complete airhead...

"I'm investigating a demon attack in this town," she repeated with a sigh. "Specifically, in this guest house. Since you weren't originally assigned here, I suppose you came after hearing about it from the townspeople?"

"I don't remember."

Akiho wanted to ram her head into a wall at his impassive and air-headed answers. "Well, I just had to make sure that there wasn't an unaware traveler staying here tonight. Since you seem to be able to take care of yourself, I'll leave you to it. I'm going to patrol the halls."

"No point. We're the only ones here. If the demon's pattern is to grab victims from rooms, it makes more sense if we waited in a room."

She hated that as air-headed as he seemed, he made a lot of sense. Admitting her defeat, she sat down in a few feet away from him experimentally, looking to see if he was going to object. When he made no indication that he even bothered to care for her presence, she raked her mind to wonder why he seemed to have such a permanent blank look.