「teahouse in the flower district」

第二十三话

It took some coaxing on Tengen's part, but he was able to "sell" all three slayers disguised as servant girls to the three brothels. Tanjirou was taken into the Tokito House because the madame felt bad and found the boy pretty earnest. On the other hand, a madame from the Ogimoto House with sharp eyes plucked Inosuke right off from the streets because she probably saw through the horrible makeup for his naturally good looks. And Zenitsu... Poor Zenitsu...

He was the only one left because he was making such an ugly face at the pillar the whole time on top of his already ugly makeup, so he was basically dropped off at the Kyougoku House for free. That just left Akiho with the Sound Pillar, and during the day when they were walking on the streets, they walked together normally. Their "relationship" would only be revealed if someone would come up to attempt to buy Akiho from the man who they assumed was a seller.

They got some information this way since people always talked, but none of them had any leads so far to Tengen's missing wives or suspicious demon activity.

"Hey there," a man came up besides Tengen and leered at Akiho with lust. "How much are you selling the girl for? I have a good place for her to go."

Another one, Akiho suppressed the urge to roll her eyes. Was it really that uncommon for women to walk the streets with a man without being seen as someone being sold?

"Sorry, she is actually my wife," Tengen apologized good naturedly to the man as he looped an arm around the girl's shoulder in a casual, but protective way. "We're just passing by and she wanted to look at some of the accessory shops here. Isn't that right, wife?"

"Y-Yes..." Akiho bowed slightly, in part to play the role of a docile wife and in part because she was actually embarrassed and still not used to being called 'wife' by the pillar.

The man stared at them for a moment longer with thought before smiling. "Ah, my apologies!" he said and motioned to a teahouse down the street. "I didn't know she was yours! That was incredibly rude of me to assume. My brother actually owns that teahouse over there—please let me treat you both to some tea as an apology."

Tengen didn't find the need to do so, and he was about to decline but the man seemed adamant.

"I'm sure walking all day is uncomfortable for your wife as well. There's shade, too."

Akiho secretly tugged on the back of the pillar's yukata at the mention of shade. It was approaching noon and due to her condition, it was better to take the man up on his offer and rest indoors for at least an hour to avoid the sun at its brightest. They can continue to look around after that under normal shade from the store eaves.

"If you insist, then. Please lead the way," Tengen smiled. "If you don't mind, can you tell us a little about this place while we rest? We're actually not too familiar with the area."