「the ones without breaths」

第九话

Only Genya was assigned a mission by his crow to a village that was not too far from where they came. Yatsu was curiously not around, so Akiho had followed the male to his mission. The demon that was terrorizing the village was easily defeated by the dual sword and gun wielding slayer during the night, and now they were walking through the streets of the village later in the afternoon to gather some supplies with the coins that they earned from missions.

Akiho was surprised to learn that the shiny object that the male always carried around was called a gun—it was a new weapon brought in by westerners and it was starting to become more popular as Japan is becoming more influenced by the West. Currently, Genya was looking for the bullets that the gun uses and she was following with silent curiosity. He said something about needing sun-steel bullets, but normal ones will have to do since he had to get those specially made. Meanwhile, Akiho's attention was sidetracked when she caught sight of a sweets stand.

Dangos. They sell dangos!

Slipping away from the weapon store, she quickly bee-lined towards the stand and dumped all of her money at the shocked owner. Recovering, he became elated at the enormous sale and offered the girl almost all of the dangos he currently had on display in exchange for the amount of money she gave.

This is... Heaven... 

Akiho hummed contently as she devoured two on the spot. The tangy sweetness melted in her mouth. Because she never went into the village with Musashi after that incident, she always asked the man to bring back a few for her but never made him spend more money than necessary to feed her gluttonous appetite. She grinned as she looked at the bundle of dangos that were safely wrapped inside the paper bag in her arms. 

I can eat as much as I earn now.

"Oi, don't just run off..." Genya's rough voice trailed off as he saw how blissful the girl looked stuffing her face with the dessert. He had more to say, but he couldn't find the words that were stuck in his throat because she looked too adorable.

"Genya! Do you want one?" she shoved a stick in his free hand and continued to stroll down the street with the red-faced and speechless male. She glanced back when the male didn't immediately start eating, "What's wrong?"

"...Nothing," he grumbled finally and looked away. "I thought you can only eat meat."

Surprised and happy that he cared enough to remember, she nodded sheepishly. "Dangos seem to be an exception. Do you have a favorite sweets?"

Genya furrowed his brows in thought for a moment. "Ohagi..." he said unconsciously. It wasn't like he had the leisure to indulge himself with sweets, but if he had to think back to the time when he was still with his family, then his grandmother and mother often made the sticky sweet rice treat for the Shinazugawa siblings and everyone loved them. Especially aniki...