「companion」

第五话

Her encounter with the Mist Pillar was rather short because he took off suddenly without explanation, but it wasn't a big let-down since her Kasugai Crow found her immediately after to assign her a new mission. Days passed as she finished two more missions with barely enough time to rest. Her only excuse—and she used it to her full advantage—was that she was required to take a break for the three to four hours that the sun glared the brightest in the sky.

Who knew that the attribute she hated about her demon half would come to be less of an annoyance now that she was a demon slayer.

However, there was another problem. She had gone on for days without properly filling her stomach, and her appetite was something that she couldn't change and nothing other than actually eating would help. She grumbled at the fact that for the past two days there had been nothing but rice fields around her; there were no mountains or woods that provided bigger prey so she had been sustaining herself on three rabbits a day. It was unfulfilling, to say the least.

"Caw!" Her Kasugai Crow, who she endearingly named Yatagarasu but Yatsu for short, was flying around her head in circles as he gave out another mission detail. "Head southeast! Southeast! To Mt. Yamikito!"

...Finally! A mountain meant bigger animals, and bigger animals meant that she can finally eat a lot—after her mission, of course—but it was nonetheless a motivation for her.

"Whatarya daydreaming for, idiot! Go!"

"Yatsu..." Akiho warned with a curl of her lips, showing the crow a mischievous expression as her eyes glowed yellow. "Don't forget I'm still hungry..."

"C-Caw...!"

She had a weird relationship with the crow. While he was annoying, he was her only source of constant companion on these empty roads. Yatsu was rude, too, always spewing out insults whenever he felt like. She wondered if other demon slayer's crows were like that or if she just had a defective one.

"How far away is Mt. Yamikito?" she wondered. She thinks she could barely make out a mountain in the distance, but that could be a different one. When Yatsu gave no response, she could only apologize. "You know I was kidding about eating you, Yatsu," she stretched out an arm for the bird to perch. She couldn't deny that she liked the feeling of having someone to talk to, even if it was a rude crow. Her master was always there for her before, but now even he was gone so she had to get it together on her own... With her crow.

"Yatsu..." she pouted further.

"Two! Two days!" Yatsu finally cawed out. "Demon—!"