「the sound pillar」

第二十四话

"Caw!"

Sanemi didn't acknowledge his Kasugai Crow as it landed on the branch near his training ground. He had just kicked one of the members in his dojo out this morning for being incompetent and he was irritated. The irritation didn't stem solely from that, though. During his patrol around his district the night before, there was a brazen demon who managed to reach a little boy playing out too late in the field before he could save him.

Having any innocent deaths fall into his hands made Sanemi feel disgusted with himself. As a pillar, he should've been better than this. How could he even call himself a pillar this way?

The angrier he was at himself, the more wrath he spilled towards others.

"Where is that mutt?" he demanded as he finally turned around. He didn't feel the presence of the half-demon when his crow came and he was growing impatient. His crow, sensing the pillar's irritation, immediately announced the news.

"The Sound Pillar Uzui Tengen has taken her on a mission! Caw!"

Sanemi furrowed his brows and slammed his wooden sword down. Missions that are taken by pillars usually involved high-level demons, maybe even Upper Moons. Is Uzui out of his mind? he huffed. It was curious to see that she was gaining approval from from more pillars. He surely hasn't accepted her yet, but he couldn't deny that he didn't hate training the headstrong girl...

Shit! Who cares anyway!

Scowling, he went inside to his dojo where the other members were. They didn't expect the man to slam the door open and visibly trembled since the memory of one of their own getting kicked out just hours ago was still fresh on their minds. Without Akiho here to keep the pillar occupied when he was in a bad mood, they had to make sure that they didn't make even the smallest of mistakes or fear the same fate as the ex-members.

"Three of you! Come at me!" Sanemi barked at the group.

The men in the dojo all shivered and bumped each other because no one wanted to be one of the three, but if none of them moved then they were all going to get it. Three braver souls stepped up to charge and the pillar plowed through them in an instant.

"Weak shitbags! Next three!"

They were going to have a long week ahead of them. The dojo members all cursed the half-demon's absence.

Back at the Flower District, the first three nights went without a hitch and the three disguised slayers always contacted the Sound Pillar by letter to report any information or suspicious business going on in their prospective houses. There was not much to tell other than knowing for sure that Tengen's wives were indeed in some type of trouble, either from 'losing their footing' or some other unspecified reason. It was hard to get information too since they were the lowest rank servants in the houses and they couldn't look too suspicious poking their heads into other people's businesses.