「gift」

第十三话

Four weeks has passed since the sun incident and things quickly fell into routine. Shinjurou still disproved of the fact that his son had a half-demon disciple, but he no longer intervened and instead continued to drink the days away without another care.

Akiho was sent out on some missions during this time, but between them she would train tirelessly with the Flame Pillar. Even though she had tried and never succeeded in learning the Breath of Stone from the former Stone Pillar, Kyoujurou still taught her movements for his flame breathing technique after she had disclosed to him how amazing his technique was when he came to save her and Genya.

"Mm! Your form is great and your movements are fluid," Kyoujurou nodded as she finally mirrored his moves perfectly during one of their sessions. He rubbed his thumb and index finger under his chin with thought, "So why is that you're unable to perform total concentration breathing?"

"I've never been able to figure that out," Akiho shrugged and pouted. "Master Musashi said it might have something to do with me having some demon qualities..."

"We will surely get to the bottom of this! Maybe Kocho will know something. Ah, she did ask that I send you to the Butterfly Estate sometimes. You should go today!"

"Eh? But what about training—"

"You've been doing a wonderful job so far, so take a break for two days," he patted her head with a dazzling smile. "I can't overwork my cute disciple too much! That would be unkind of me!"

Akiho blushed at his words, "If you say so, Master Kyoujurou..."

"It makes me happy that you're calling me that!" he pointed out candidly, which made the girl blush even more and shuffle away quickly to go to the Butterfly Estate. Akiho always felt embarrassed when he would tease her. Ever since she stood up to Shinjurou, the man had become more familiar with her and due to them training together often, it gave him ample opportunities to make these remarks. "Farewell, my cute disciple!" ​​​​​​

"I-I'm leaving!" And never coming back!

Even as she exited the estate, she could hear the Flame Pillar's boisterous laughter.

Senjurou watched curiously from inside the house when the girl stormed off with his brother laughing. "Akiho-san doesn't seem to like being teased, brother," he told the man as he set a tray with two cups of tea down. Kyoujurou sat down with a smile.

"I can't resist because she makes such an interesting expression!"

The younger male didn't say anything at first as they sipped on some tea. He thought about how their usually empty and quiet house has become more full of life since his brother took in Akiho as a disciple, and it was nice.