「try again and again」

第二十八话

Both teens froze in their spots as they met each others gaze. The sound of the spring trickled rhythmically around them as the fog from warmth clouded above the water. Dim rays from the setting sun painted the area with a soft orange hue. If it weren't for the obvious embarrassing situation, the scene was like a beautiful picture.

"...Guh—uk—uh..."

Genya was a sputtering mess while his heart was practically leaping out from his body in a painfully uncomfortable way. One couldn't blame him, though. Being already wary of the opposite sex on a normal basis, the view of the girl with her pale and soft looking skin, dotted with water droplets and long sooty hair draping over her shoulders was a sight to behold. S-She's too beautiful...! He gulped nervously before tearing his eyes away as to be respectful and tried to make a run for it.

"I hav— I shoul— I... Go...!"

His shaky shout and harsh tug to release his arm drew Akiho out of her jumbled state. Though still embarrassed, she saw that her hardened grip on the boy had caused her nails to dig straight into skin and it drew blood.

"Genya—! W-Wait!" she stepped forward and stopped him from jumping out of the water that instant. "I scratched you...!"

Shutting his eyes so that he didn't have to look, Genya let out a frustrated grunt and moved the girl back forcefully.

"IT'S FINE, DAMMIT! I'M L-LEAVING!!"

Akiho showed a pained look as the male left the premise with lightening speed. Being in an awkward situation aside, she knew he must still be harboring some animosity towards her since he hadn't bothered to even speak with her after what had happened. Heaving a complicated sigh, she pulled herself out of the springs as well.

If Genya came to the village, it meant that he'll at least stay here for a few days. She quickly tied the fresh yukata and shrugged on her haori before heading down.

I was left behind again...

"It's always good to fill your stomach after a relaxing bath," Mitsuri hummed as she finished the latest bowl of food and set it on top of the growing pile. Next to her, Akiho was nibbling away at the fried chicken with an absentminded look. The Love Pillar noticed and grew worried again, "What's wrong, Akiho-chan? Did something happen at the hot spring?"

A blush dashed across her face at how observant the pillar was but she refrained from saying too much about the incident. Knowing the pillar, she would be even more embarrassed for the girl and it'll just end up with both of them flabbergasted and awkward during the rest of dinner.