「visit」

第二十一话

As soon as Genya had heard that Akiho was found and taken to the Butterfly Estate, a breath of relief washed over him. However, he was still restless because his crow also revealed that she was badly injured and still the slayer with a boar mask headbutted her. The only consolation he got was that one of the servant girls told him the male responsible was heavily admonished by Shinobu for doing that.

Normally, Genya wouldn't be able to leave his training so casually but Gyoumei had introduced him to Shinobu due to the fact that he consumed demons, so he was able to go to get checked up from the pillar every once in a while and especially after missions when he had eaten demons. The two times that he visited, though, Akiho was unconscious. It seemed that she was in a coma induced by her severe exhaustion. Her half-demon body was trying to catch up to the damage and using large amounts of energy to heal and so she was forced to stay in a comatose state.

With an old lung wound, deep lacerations, and several broken bones, it was good that her body was taking time to heal since she neglected it for an entire week, but Genya was hopeful that she will wake up soon. He was going back to the estate again today, and it marked a month since the pillars found the girl.

No one seemed to be around the estate at the moment saved for the servants, and they were all busy in other parts of the house so the male walked in to the treatment room and sat down next to Akiho's bed. The window above her was covered with a cloth curtain so the sun only lit dimly on her being as she laid there soundlessly.

"Even after a month..." he mumbled softly, eyes shifting to the small tubes injected into her veins to deliver necessary vitamins and nutrients into her body so that it didn't waste away while she was unconscious. Her wounds have all healed by now and he noticed the bandages were taken off since the last time he came, so it really just looked like she was sleeping. "Dumbass... Why did you go and be so reckless? You're still half-human..."

"...So...rry..."

His head snapped up when the girl talked; golden eyes blinked slowly at his surprised black orbs. He nearly jumped from his seat. "Y-You're awake! How are you feeling?!" he yelled.

"I feel..." Akiho frowned tiredly as she felt a pang in her empty stomach. How long was she out for? Her body felt like a hollow noodle as she sat up. "Hungry..."

Genya could only muse at her incredulous response after waking up for the first time after a month. However, he was internally overjoyed that she finally regained consciousness. "I should call someone over!" he suddenly realized and stood up quickly. "I'm sure they can get you some food, too. Wait here just a moment—!"

The girl stopped him by grasping onto his hand and the action made him blush, "W-What are you doing...?"

"Don't go," she whispered with eyes that shone with sadness. The pang in her heart took more presence as the reality of the situation dawn on her once more. The Flame Pillar Rengoku Kyoujurou was dead. She'd had dreams about him during her long sleep, but that's where he will stay now.