33 After Rain

That night you had hugged Megumi tightly before he went off to his room,  worry for him ever prevelent in your mind.  But...he wants to be a jujutsu sorcerer.  And he was aware of what that decision entailed.  This is just the first time he's really had to deal with it. 

You sighed heavily, closing your eyes as your head leaned against the wall.  You hadn't particularly wanted him to make that choice, but you'd never stop him from doing it. 

Granted, you had a bad habit of interfering in his battles in the beginning.  However you'd come to realize he'd have to get scraped up to improve. 

That fight with Sukuna was an exception.  If it had come to the point of killing Sukuna, you couldn't allow Megumi to do that, even if he were able to take him on.  Doing that to someone he thought of as a friend...

"You fought how you could for Yuji.  Try and get some rest."

You frowned, remembering the panic you felt as Yuji had switched back, the sadness, the acceptance.

With a deep breath you straightened up.

You barged into the morgue, toward Yujis body. You put your hand on his chest, closing your eyes. It was a stretch, but if Sukuna was keeping his soul alive...maybe you could feel some of those emotions. Afterall, who knows when someone capable of holding him would come along next. Sukuna certainly didn't know. Would he be willing to risk it? Even if he was keeping his soul alive, did he have the power to physically revive Yuji?

There.  Something. 

Frustration, anger, sadness. 

But along a different path...pride, confidence, power. 

You were feeling Sukunas emotions too.

Your eyes shot open as you landed with a splash into water. 

You gasped in a sharp breath, "Sukuna..."

He looked at you boredly, sitting on top of an unconscious Yuji.  "You have an annoying technique.  But it is very useful.  You could force jujutsu sorcerers to kill themselves with fear."

"I could do the same to you." 

He grinned widely.  "Then it works on curses too, how interesting."

"You're going to bring him back then?"  You stood.

"I am."

You stepped closer, looking down at him.  "What happened today will never happen again.  You will never have that freedom again."  Your tendrils blocked an attack, gaze not leaving his.  "Childish."

"Is that why you sorcerers are so desperate to kill him?"  Sukuna rebutted.

"Those old men are scared of their shadow.  You know, they're scared of me too.  And Gojo.  And Geto.  And Toji.  I could go on."  You backed away.  "You're the least of their worries."  With that you severed the connection, coming back with a frown. 

Yuji shot up. 

"What's your plan for him?"  Toji questioned Gojo.  The three of you stood outside while Shoko checked on Yuji.

"Don't say anything of this.  I'll hide him away so he can learn more before theres another attack on his life.  I could use the both of your help.  I won't be able to skip my missions or else they'll get suspicious.  No telling Megumi either."

"Fine."

"Whats with you?  Why'd he pop back up after you did that?"  Toji asked.