2 The Offer

You yawned, automatic doors dinging as you walked in.

"Welcome!"

You smiled toward the old woman, grabbing a basket. It wasn't ideal to be grocery shopping so late, but you could admit it was more peaceful. There was no waiting for people to get out of the way or knocking shoulders and apologizing. You yawned again, this one bringing tears to your eyes.

Turning the corner to the cereal isle, you paused, frown forming. A small form stood in the middle of the isle, head nodded down and wobbling back and forth ever so slightly. Carefully stepping around, you kneeled down to find a familiar face.

"Megumi?"

His eyes cracked open.

"What are you doing here?"

"Mmn." He mumbled, rubbing his eyes.

"Is your dad here?" There was no response this time. He only looked at you blankly. To be fair, you didn't like speaking while tired either. "Do you want to walk with me then?"
He held his arms up. Chuckling, you rested him on one hip, holding the basket with the same hand. You glided down the isles, gently placing the needed items in the basket. Megumi had almost instantly fallen asleep, his head resting on your shoulder while he had your hoodie closed in his fist. You figured as much. He had to be pretty damn tired to sleep standing up.

"Oh look, it's the kidnapper."

Your whirled around at the voice.
"Oh look it's-" You cut yourself off. That would have been a bit harsh. You still kept the glare though, "You know, he was sleeping in the cereal isle."

"I was wondering where he went off too." Toji eyed his child in your arms before returning your gaze.

You quite honestly had no idea what to say to this man. So, rather than doing some likely meaningless confrontation, you said, "I'm going to check out. I'll be at the front when your done." You weren't oblivious to the dark bags under Tojis eyes either. Carrying a little extra weight so he could finish shopping wasn't going to hurt.

Your head rested on top of Megumi's, the rhythmic beeping after each item scanned lulling you to sleep.

"That'll be $33.60."

You threw your change into your purse, carrying the paper bag on your other hip toward the bench at the front of the store. Setting the bag down, you moved Megumis leg so it didn't sit behind your back, settling him on your lap. Thankfully he didn't wake. You yawned again, pulling your phone out to keep you awake.

Fifteen minutes later Toji stood at the register, glancing out of the corner of his eye your way. For a normal human, your cursed energy was surprisingly controlled. More so what surprised him was that it enveloped Megumi.

"Megumi!" You called quietly. After a little nudging he woke. "Your dad is all done shopping. Ready to go home?" He mumbled some nonsense, hiding his face into your hoodie. You sighed. Toji stopped in front of you with a couple of plastic bags in his hand. Ramen packets, eggs, bread, and random snacks peeked through. Almost grudgingly, you handed his kid back to him. "If you need, I can babysit him sometimes."

"Huh?"

"I work from home, so it would be fine."

Toji shifted Megumi like you'd been holding him. Megumis head was over his shoulder, but his eyes were open. "You want to babysit him? Why's that?"

You shrugged. "You both seem to need some help. As long as you pay for his food and stuff, I'll watch him for free."

"Really?" Toji said doubtfully.

"I'm in (apartment building name). I'm usually home." You heaved your groceries into your arms, doors dinging while you walked through.