22 Healed

You were released the next night under instructions to, in short, don't move, don't get the stitches wet, and don't drink.  Sounds like a delightful time.  Regardless, anything was better than being in the hospital.
And to be safe, Toji brought you back to his apartment instead. 
Routine differed a bit, as this time Megumi pulled the blanket up to your chin and kissed your cheek goodnight. 

Toji leaned against the doorway, "How you feelin?"

"Gross."

"I can help you clean up."

Your frown deepened, "No.  That's embarrassing. I'm good enough to do it myself."

"I've seen a lot worse."  He smirked, "Helping a pretty girl clean up doesn't come close to the worst of it."  You crossed your arms as he picked you up, letting you stand against the sink.  "Can you lift your arms?"

You grudgingly did so, leaving you in a bra and shorts. "Not even Megumi needs this much help getting dressed."  You huffed as he lifted you into the tub.  He took tape from under the sink, taping the edges of the bandage down.  "Think if I sneezed hard they'd pop?"

Toji snorted, "Hope not." 

Your mood dropped again, watching with watery eyes as he wiped your legs down with a warm cloth. 

"I'm sorry."

"For what?"

"I shouldn't have opened the door, I should've looked first.  Megumi coulda been-"

"He would have been fine."  Toji interrupted.  "They weren't there for either of you and they wouldn't have killed you.  Anything major being missed wasn't an accident." 

"You owe them money or something?"

"No."  His brows furrowed, "It's possible my family hired them."

"Oh."

You were both so much in your own thoughts you didn't notice the silence until he broke it. 

"I gotta tell you something that's gonna piss you off."

"...What..?"

"I... was going to sell them
Megumi. I knew he would have a technique and I wouldn't be able to train him. At the time, I thought it would be for the best."

Your eyes widened, speaking in a breathless voice, "What?"

"It was a deal I made when he was born. No doubt it's what we're meeting about.  They want his technique in the family."

Tears rolled down your cheeks, "We're gonna lose him?"

"I'm not going to let him go." Toji wiped the tears away, "It was only verbal, no contract and I can't make a binding vow. They didn't think it was necessary, that I wouldn't back out."

"Why...would you do that?"

"I didn't think I could give him what he needed. I haven't so far, but I can't let him go there."

You shut your eyes, leaning into the palm of his hand. "I guess babies are scary."

His body relaxed, "Those pills must mellow you out."

You cracked a smile, opening your eyes, "A little. I don't think you're a bad person. You're good somewhere in there. But you gotta promise there's not gonna be anymore of these shitty decisions."

"I promise."

"I'm holding you to that.  For real."