Chapter 39 - Friendship

Leaving the wedding dress shop, Ava, Ophelia, and I are practically glowing with joy, arms loaded with shopping bags

Leaving the wedding dress shop, Ava, Ophelia, and I are practically glowing with joy, arms loaded with shopping bags. With my wedding just a week away, the anticipation is almost too much to handle. Ava has flown in from New York to help me with the shopping since Bri couldn’t make it—something about an urgent work commitment. Despite her absence, we’re having a fantastic time.

It’s astonishing to think that Ava and I are now having such a great time together. If you’d told me back in high school that we’d be friends, I would have laughed in disbelief. People really do change, and seeing Ava and me laughing together is proof of that.

As we settle into our seats at Olive Garden, our shopping bags stacked beside us like trophies, Ava dives into a story about her first meeting with Vincenzo, Lorenzo’s brother. “And I hated him because he just wouldn’t shut up!” she exclaims, gesturing animatedly as she takes a bite of her spaghetti. Her animated storytelling has us all in stitches, and I can’t shake the feeling of déjà vu.

Our conversation flows effortlessly as we enjoy our meal. Ava, with a mischievous grin, says, “It’s so funny how life turns out. Honestly, I never thought I’d see the day when you’d be in love with him.” Her observation is spot-on. It’s surreal to think that I’m about to marry Lorenzo, my high school bully. If you’d told me a year ago that this would be my reality, I would have called you crazy.

“Love has a funny way of sneaking up on you, doesn’t it?” I reply with a smile, catching the hint of guilt in Ava’s eyes. Before she can say anything more, I cut her off gently. “No, don’t.”

“But I—”

“No, really, Ava. You’ve apologized, and I’ve forgiven you. We were just kids back then, and kids do stupid things. What’s important is that you’ve grown from it and that we’ve found a way to move past it. I’m glad we’re here now, enjoying each other’s company.”

Ava wipes a tear from her cheek, her emotions evident. She turns to Ophelia, who’s engrossed in a game on my phone. “See, Ophelia? Don’t bully people—you might miss out on making the best friend you could ever have.” Ophelia looks up briefly and nods, making Ava and me burst into laughter.

As the hours pass, we continue chatting and discovering more common interests. It’s surprising how much Ava and I have in common. We both love to read, though Ava’s passion for photography is something I don’t share—I’m not exactly fond of being in front of the camera. Despite this difference, our connection deepens as we share stories and laughter.

It’s hard to believe how far we’ve come from those high school days to now, spending a leisurely afternoon together after a successful wedding dress shopping trip. This day has turned out to be everything I hoped for and more.

-----
GUYS!!!! TWO MORE CHAPTERS THEN THIS BOOK WILL COME TO AN END!!!!! 😭😭😭