Chapter 10 - Alex - Siblings!

The others left as soon as the 'HAIL' part had died, leaving behind only Annabeth, Percy and Chiron.

"You'll be staying at Cabin three with Percy," Chiron instructed. "I'm sure he'll tell you everything you need to know."

Percy was just staring at me in shock. His mouth was still open. Annabeth chuckled.

"I'm sure he will, Chiron, I can tell by the way he's looking at her in shock," Annabeth said, smirking. "Don't worry, I'll help him out."

Chiron nodded turned and trotted away happily back to the hut.

"Dinnertime's nearing," Annabeth said, seeing that Percy had still not stopped gaping at me. "Let's just go have a look at Cabin Three, okay?"

"Yeah, let's go," I said as the Sword and daggers disappeared and the necklace appeared. "This way, right?"

"So, when were you born, Alexandra?" asked Annabeth.

"Well, according to what I remember, it was August 18," I said, thinking hard.

"Then you must be twins!" Annabeth said, smiling. "Percy was born on August 18 and he turned sixteen a few months ago as well!"

"If we were twins we'd have the surname, don't you think?" Percy asked, the first time he'd actually spoken in the last twenty minutes or so.

"But if you're twins, then you'll both be head counsellors of Cabin Three," Annabeth said. "Oh, come on, Percy, it's not a big deal. She's your sister! Don't be so shocked!"

But Percy still was looking at me like I was a fish swimming out of the water and in the air. "This is the Poseidon Cabin, Alex," Annabeth called. "On Percy's behalf, welcome!"

Annabeth lent me a few gold coins that she called Drachmas, and helped me buy a few pairs of black jeans and shirts. And then she left me and Percy alone, saying that we needed to develop a 'sibling bond'.

I stuffed my clothes into the second cupboard and spread the sheets on my new bed and sat on it, right opposite my brother, Percy. Gosh, what a weird word, 'brother,' I thought. I smiled at him as he stared at me.

"You killed the Minotaur too?" I asked him, looking at it displayed proudly on the shelf.

Percy looked at for a long moment, and then said, "Yeah," he scratched his head, "but that was a long time ago, when I was twelve, you know?"

"No, I didn't," I said, smirking. "You just told me."

"Well yeah," Percy said, smiling.

"So.. what else? You got a mom?"

This seemed like a subject that Percy liked best. His eyes shone with interest, and he began to babble fast, "Oh, yes! Her name is Sally Jackson and she's the best person in the world, which just proves my theory that the best people have the rottenest luck."

"Oh, what happened?" I asked sympathetically.

"Her own parents died in a plane crash when she was five, and she was raised by an uncle who didn't care much about her. She wanted to be a novelist-"

"Woah. That's so cool."

"I know right?" Percy said, his eyes gleaming, and he smiled so wide that his cheeks would have popped off if he stretched his cheeks a bit more.

"So she spent high school working to save enough money for a college with a good creative-writing program. Then her uncle got cancer, and she had to quit school in her senior year to take care of him. After he died, she was left with no money, no family and no diploma."

"Oh no," I said sadly.

"Tell me about it," Percy said, his smile fading. "But then she met Dad, and that was her only good break," He perked up, and his face was pulled into a smile again. "She worked odd jobs, took night classes to get her high school diploma, and raised me on her own. She never complained or got mad. Not even once."

"She really must be the best person in the world," I said, smiling sweetly. 

"Yeah, she is! Then she married Gabe Ugliano, who was nice the first thirty seconds we knew him, then showed his true colors as a world-class jerk. When I was young, I nicknamed him Smelly Gabe."

I snorted. "Don't tell me he smelled like moldy garlic and tomato pizza," I said.

"That's exactly what he smelled like," Percy said. "And he was no good to my mom, so she turned him into a statue with Medusa's head when I was twelve and sold him to a company."

"Okay, weird, but good for you," I said with an arched eyebrow.

"Then she took classes to become a novelist, met Paul, my stepdad, he works at Goode High School, where I study when I'm not here, and she's living the life! She'll be publishing a book in the coming years, I tell you," he finished, panting for breath.

"Wow Percy, seems like you love your mom very much," I said, patting him on the shoulder.

"Well, tell me about yourself, then," Percy said, now interested to know about me as well. "Whatever you remember."

I smiled. The 'sibling bond' thing that Annabeth told us might just work out, I thought.

"Well, when I got out of the water I found this family," I told him, "they called themselves the Dursleys."

"The Dur-what?" Percy asked, snorting already.

"Dursleys," I said. "Oh, and you should've seen them! There were three of them, mother, father and son. The mother, Petunia was her name, and she had this face like a horse, and a super long neck like a giraffe- like imagine putting that together! And in contrast to her skinny figure was Vernon aka the father. That guy- I tell you- He didn't have a neck at all!"

"The perfect match!" Percy said, and laughing "Reminds me of Smelly Gabe."

"If you think Vernon to be like Smelly Gabe," I said, snorting, "then you should hear about Dudley Dursley!"

"Dud-?!" Percy said, "Naming anyone Dudley should be a crime!"

"Petunia called him Duddikins!" I said, laughing. Percy fell on the bed, laughing, clutching my arm for support. "And- and-" I continued, laughing, "he ate three plates of food for dinner, with eggs, bacon, bread, beans- and 'shared' with me a piece of toast! Cried like a baby when Petunia wanted to take it away." I mimicked the boy, his high pitched voice and the frown on his large face, "Mum, mum! No! I want that piece of toast! It's special to me!"

I broke into a roar of laughter, and Percy followed. We laughed to our heart's content until Annabeth turned once again, and she stared at us in shock, two siblings who were holding onto each other for support as they laughed, on the verge of falling from the beds they had been sitting on. She shook her head, muttered something about being insane and dinner, and left as we broke into another fit of laughter.

-----------------------------------------------

Vote!