1 am

billie tossed and turned in bed, unable to fall into a deep slumber like she hoped she would. a groan escaping her lips, she sat up and rubbed her eyes, looking at the time. 1:17 in the morning. she reached out for her phone and decided to text y/n. she was probably sleeping but no harm in trying.

billie
u up?

y/n
i'm up

billie gasped softly, unable to believe that y/n was still awake.

billie
why're u up at 1 am

y/n
could ask you the same thing

billie
couldn't sleep

y/n
nightmares again?

billie
mhm.
read at 1:23 am

she sighed as she turned her phone off, burying her face in her hands and groaning out of frustration. y/n probably fell asleep with the phone still on her. billie wished she could fall asleep as easily as everyone else. but her nightmares were here again, and they only seemed to be getting progressively worse.

when she first told y/n, she expected her to laugh in her face and tell her she was being a baby just like some of her so-called friends had done. but she handled it surprisingly well and managed to make billie feel better. she felt safe with y/n.

billie spent the next fifteen minutes just thinking and not even trying to get any sleep. but her thoughts were interrupted by a buzz from her phone.

she furrowed her eyebrows, wondering who would text her at this hour.

y/n
come outside

billie was even more confused now, but she did as she was told. she didn't care that she was in her nightwear, she just slowly walked over to the main door, careful not to wake her parents or strain her sprained ankle.

she opened the door gently and was surprised to see y/n sitting there on a bench, wearing a coat. they hadn't seen each other since their date two days ago, so billie sure had missed her girlfriend. she grabbed a coat for herself as she limped over to where y/n was and sat down next to her.

"hey." she said, looking at y/n who was staring straight ahead. "hi, billie." y/n said back as she finally got a good look at billie's face.

her eyes were red and her cheeks tear-stained, and it broke y/n's heart seeing her like this. she frowned as she pulled billie into a hug, kissing the top of her head.

"i hate this." billie whispered, her voice shaky as she buried her face in y/n's chest.

"it's okay, you're okay now. i'm here. you're okay." y/n said as she rubbed billie's back, trying her best to calm down the girl who was now shaking in her arms.

"please don't leave me." billie said, her voice shaking and below a whisper but y/n could hear her, the cold night air being the only other sound for miles.

"i won't. i'm right here now. i'm not going anywhere. don't worry." y/n assured her as she hugged billie tighter.

billie stayed in y/n's arms for a few minutes, trying to gain control of her breathing. it took her a while but she finally managed to calm down, her breathing now slower.

she let out a sigh as she pulled away from y/n, looking down at her lap. "how come you were up?" billie questioned a few seconds of silence later, which made y/n sigh.

"my parents were fighting again." she mumbled, annoyed at the number of sleepless nights they'd caused.

"at like- one in the morning?" billie asked, surprised. she knew that y/n's parents didn't have the best relationship, she knew that they fought most of the time. but she didn't expect them to fight at such an ungodly hour.

"yeah. nothing new, happens quite often actually." y/n said with a nod which made billie frown.

"are you okay?" billie asked, her voice soft and gentle as she scooted closer to y/n.

"me? i'm fine. perfectly fine." y/n replied, although it sounded more like she was trying to convince herself.

"you can talk to me about it." billie spoke, making y/n give her a sad smile. "i know." she whispered, pulling billie closer to her so that billie's head was now on her chest.

y/n buried her face in billie's hair, giving it kisses every now and then, while also using her hands to play with it. she massaged her scalp, her hands working magic as billie's eyelids got heavier and before she knew it, she was fast asleep.

y/n chuckled softly at her beautiful girlfriend, admiring her features. she looked like a literal angel in the dim light of the street lamp, and y/n couldn't help but give her cheek a soft kiss.

she took her phone and looked at the time. two fifteen. setting an alarm for five forty five in the morning so that they could sneak in before they got caught, y/n yawned as she closed her eyes, slowly drifting off into a much needed slumber herself.

-----------------

stream "different" by josh

thanks for reading <3