promise rings

billie chewed on the end of her pencil as she stared into space, deep in thought. she was currently at the studio in finneas' basement and was supposed to be writing a song for her next album but instead she was completely zoned out of what finneas was saying, her mind elsewhere.

y/n.

"alright, maybe we could-"

"i want to move in with her." billie cut him off which made him snap his head towards her. "i want to move into my apartment with y/n." she said again, finneas raising his eyebrow.

"you weren't listening to a thing i said, were you?" he asked with a sigh, billie giving him a cheeky grin.

"sorry fin. i've just been thinking about this for a few weeks now and i- i don't know, i want to ask her to move in with me but what if she says no? i mean, that would be bad." she let out a nervous chuckle as she ran her fingers through her hair. "are we even at that point in our relationship yet? i don't know what to do!" she let out a frustrated groan as she slumped down on the sofa.

finneas looked at her with a slight smile, shaking his head. "just ask her, bil."

billie's head shot up as she sat up straight, looking at finneas like he was crazy. "are you insane?! i can't 'just ask her'! i need to think this over, i can't just spring this on her out of nowhere." she thought for a few seconds before speaking again. "how did you make claudia move in with you?" she questioned, tilting her head to the side as she waited for his response.

"i..just asked her?" he said in a questioning tone, billie giving him an unamused expression. "of course you did." she mumbled, running her fingers through her hair. "that girl is so madly in love with you that she'd agree to anything you say. of course she agreed to move in with you. but y/n on the other hand-"

"is head over heels for you!" finneas cut her off, billie looking at him with a raised eyebrow.

"no she's not."

"billie, come on. have you even seen the way she looks at you? she's practically obsessed with you! she's just as in love with you as you are with her, trust me on this." finneas replied, billie pursing her lips.

"maybe.." she mumbled, sighing soon after. "you really think she'll say yes if i just ask her?"

"a hundred percent." finneas smiled, a grin forming on billie's face as well.

"okay." she nodded. "alright, now back to the song. you were saying?"

-----------------

"you think she might like this?" y/n asked claudia as she pointed to a ring that looked like something billie would wear.

their six month anniversary was coming up the next week and y/n wanted to get billie a promise ring, remembering how billie had mentioned getting one with her future partner before she'd got with her.

claudia examined the ring, soon smiling as she gave her a nod of approval. "it's cute, she'll definitely like this."

"yeah? i was thinking maybe i could get our initials carved on the inside as well." y/n spoke with a smile, claudia nodding once again.

"she'd really like that. she's one for such sentiments."

y/n grinned as she gave claudia a side hug, unable to contain her excitement. "can you imagine her face when she sees this? she's going to flip! before we got together, i remember her talking to me about how she's always wanted to get promise rings with her partner. i'm so excited i can do this for her." she rambled, claudia chuckling at her.

"you're so whipped." she laughed, y/n raising an eyebrow as she tried suppressing her smile.

"i really appreciate you helping me out, claud." she said as she asked one of the employees to get their initials engraved on the ring and another ring identical to the first one.

"don't mention it."

it only took a few minutes for both rings to be ready, the pair getting out of there as soon as they paid.

they were walking through the mall and towards the theatre where they were supposed to meet billie and finneas for a double date.

"wait." claudia stopped in her tracks, making y/n turn around and look at her.

the brunette had her mouth hanging open, eyes wide as she pointed behind y/n. turning around, a smile made it's way onto y/n's face as she realized what claudia was looking at.

"ice cream!" the two of them yelled at the same time as they ran to the vegan ice cream shop on the other side, deciding to let billie and finneas wait a little longer.

ordering ice creams for themselves as well as their significant others, they paid and were soon back on track. as they approached the theatre, they spotted finneas with billie in an oversized hoodie, the hood covering her neon green roots so that she wouldn't be spotted.

a wide smile on her face, y/n ran to her girlfriend as claudia followed close behind, more focused on her ice cream.

"took you long enough." finneas said with a smile when the two were within earshot, y/n smiling back at him.

"sorry you guys. we got distracted." she said as she gave billie the ice cream she'd bought for her.

a gasp leaving her lips, billie exclaimed, "ice cream!"

y/n giggled softly as she stood next to billie and put an arm around her shoulder, making sure the promise rings were secure in her pocket. "hi baby." y/n grinned, pulling billie closer to her.

"hi." billie smiled as she cuddled into y/n's chest, licking her ice cream. "thank you for this."

"of course angel."

they were soon done with their ice creams as they made their way into the theatre, grateful that their seats were at the very back so that they could go without being spotted.

taking their seats, y/n took billie's hand in hers and rubbed circles on the back of her palm with her thumb. "you excited?" she asked softly, billie nodding with a smile.

"i am, i've really been looking forward to watching this movie."

y/n smiled at her as she placed a soft kiss on billie's cheek, squeezing her hand before pulling away.

"kiss?" billie puckered her lips and asked in a soft voice, one which made y/n's heart melt. she looked around to make sure no one was watching before turning back to billie and staring into her eyes, leaning in slowly to connect their lips in a long awaited kiss.

billie sighed softly when their lips met, holding y/n's palms which rested on billie's sides. moving her lips against y/n's, billie couldn't help but smile into the kiss as she thought about how happy y/n made her.

they were startled by the sound of the movie starting which made them pull away, both of them laughing softly at each other before focussing on the movie with billie cuddled into y/n's side.

"i want to marry you someday." billie mumbled softly, not meaning to say it out loud but not regretting it either.

y/n looked at her with the biggest smile she'd ever given anyone before kissing the top of her head. "me too, angel. me too."

-----------------

billie removed her pfp on instagram and everyone's saying new era😭 i'm SCARED i'm not ready for a new era i don't want it yet help😭😭

thanks for reading <3