But it might've just been you, passing by unbeknownst to me

A/N: Edging ever closer to the meeting in Kings Landing. Daenerys humors Tyrion and reminds herself what is important. It's a light and short chapter but I had fun writing it and had to build a bridge for the next chapters!

"I've never seen someone lit from withinBlurring out my peripheryMy smile is like I won a contestAnd to hide that would be so dishonestAnd it's fine to fake it 'til you make it'Til you doTil it's true

Blurring out my periphery
My smile is like I won a contest
And to hide that would be so dishonest
And it's fine to fake it 'til you make it
'Til you do
Til it's true

Now it's like
Snow at the beach
Weird but fuckin' beautiful
Flying in a dream
Stars by the pocketful
You wanting me
Tonight feels impossible

But it's coming down
No sound
It's all around
Like snow on the beach

Snow On The Beach - Taylor Swift feat. Lana Del Rey
**********

Daenerys

The dark, dank dungeons of Dragonstone were not the most welcoming of spaces. The torch she carried barely managed to penetrate the gloom. The scuff of her boots on the stone floor echoed off the walls and bounced back to her. A steady drip of water accompanied her steps as she passed empty cells to the one she sought. The cold stone and sulfur scent tickled her nose, the stale, dusty air broken only by a hollow whistling draught that sent gooseflesh scattering across her skin. Her steps slowed as she drew closer to the creature she'd come to see. The urge to close her eyes and pretend it wasn't real was strong, and how she wished it was as simple as that, she'd denied their existence to her detriment. She'd long since lost the ability to cover her eyes and ears and childishly refuse to admit it was real.

She wasn't sure why she'd come here. More of her armies had left Dragonstone for the mainland, and she was on edge now the numbers on the island had noticeably dwindled. A force would be left behind to defend if their plans failed. Time had passed too swiftly since they'd told Tyrion of their engagement, running like water through her fingers, but she still tried to keep hold of it. She paused before the darkest cell, carefully placed her torch in the nearest sconce, and stared in at the withered, dead man that somehow still lived and glared at her with those terrible blue eyes. Their very sight made her hot blood turn to ice as it struggled against its heavy chains in a vain attempt to get to her, growling incomprehensibly as it followed the only order it had been given.

Her thoughts of late had been dark when she wasn't basking in the glow of new love with Jon. Sometimes she couldn't help but feel a twinge of resentment at the horrors he'd brought with him. A selfish part of her wanted to go back to the time when the Iron Throne was all she had to conquer. Her woman's heart and iron will wouldn't let her wallow for long. She'd pledged all she was and would follow through. She revealed none of her doubts to Jon, the burden he carried was heavy enough, and she couldn't add to it. Each time the wall or the army of the dead was brought up, his face made guilt swirl sickeningly in her stomach. She was keeping him from the place he called home and loved so much that she kept the words behind her teeth more for him than her selfish worries for her own sanity.