CHAPTER 32 : "You And The Baby Are Better Off Without Me."

"He's gone sweetie, your father's gone"

Its been one day since Father died. It's been hard to deal with but I've had to be strong for mom's sake. She's inconsolable, she's not eating or sleeping and as for me, I'm trying not to think about it at all.

I'm in charge of the mafia now.

I had been trying to convince father for months to let me take over from him, I would've done anything for it but I never thought it would happen like this.

I keep walking into his office expecting to see him in front of the fire drinking a glass of vodka or sorting through Buissness files which need going over.

When I found out he died I made sure we had an autopsy done to make sure he did die from a heart attack and not something else, because he was fine the last time I was with him and I don't know how he could go from being perfectly fine to dying suddenly.

It turns out it was a heart attack but I still don't want to believe it.

His funeral is today and I'm dreading it. The thought of being in a room with people who barely knew him just makes me wanna loose it. Mom invited the entire family, whom I haven't seen since I was like three years old and they haven't seen father in years.

"Who even are these people?"Nikolai asks looking at the crowd of people in the room with a glass of vodka in his hand and the other in his suit pocket.

"I have no fucking clue". I say pouring myself another glass of the vodka in the hopes that the day will end much quicker if I drink to the oblivion.

"Aurora is on her way back from New York, she'll be here soon. Sofia and Raquel are coming too."Nik states before taking the last gulp from the glass before putting it down on the table.

" Shit". I hiss closing my eyes with my nose between my fingers. This is the last thing I need right now. It's been great with her gone even though I'm pissed off she didn't tell me she was leaving but that's beside the point... I haven't thought about her, and I've barely even given thought to her being pregnant and now she's six months so she's bound to have a bump that's noticeable.

She's been out of sight, out of mind.

Which is exactly what I need right now. I have too much shit going on right now between father's death and the mafia. I can't deal with Aurora, especially not now.

"What's wrong?" Nik asks with his hands in his pants pocket. "Nothing". I say fixing my suit and making my way towards the stairs up to my room. I need to get away from everyone and everything.

I sigh sitting down on my bed, peace and quiet finally. I take out my phone and I go through some old texts I had with father.

A few minutes pass when theres a knock on thr door. "Yeah?" I say expecting Nikolai to barge in and start talking about everyone downstairs. The door opens slowly and the person I dreaded seeing walks in.

Aurora

"Hi Leo. "She gently smiles. God, that smile. I clear my throat"Hi Aurora."I throw my phone behind me and it lands with a thud on the pillow. Aurora walks towards me and I only notice her bump then and there. She notices and her small smile fades as she sits beside me.

She puts her hands on her thighs and she starts fiddling with her fingers. "I'm sorry Leo, about your father I know you guys were really close." She said looking at me with those big brown eyes.

"Thank you". I reply trying not to think about father. "How was New York?" I ask changing the subject. I've heard the same sentence "I'm sorry about your father"  for the last two days and I just want to hear something else.

Aurora looks at me for a second before answering. "Umm it was great, Raquel and Sofia came with their boyfriends and.. Yeah we all had a great time."

"I heard you graduated from college with a degree." I say resting my elbows on my kneecaps. Nikolai told me but I already knew she would get it, she's smart as hell.

"Yeah I did." She smiles. "Well done". I say smiling looking back at her. "Thank you". She smiles looking into my eyes. We stare at each other for a moment before she hisses in pain.

"Ahh". She winces holding her stomach. I get up quickly "What is it, is it the baby?"I say kneeling down in front of her.

"No, everything's fine their just kicking". She explains holding her stomach with her eyes closed.

"Their? " I say with my eyes wide. God I'm having twins now.  "I'm not having twins Leo". Aurora states giggling when she sees my face.

"I don't know the gender of the baby yet and it just feels weird calling the baby an "it".She explains rubbing her belly. I get up and sit back on the bed sighing in relief.

"I thought you could find out the gender at this stage."I say confused. She's six months pregnant, she should surely know the gender....unless, I sigh when I realise. "I didn't want to... in the off chance you.. would want to be there". She explains slowly. I close my eyes "Aurora.. nothing has changed in the last 4 months. I'm not ready to commit to being a father, I have too much shit going on right now.. Especially now." I say not meeting her eyes, instead staring down at the floor.

"I'm sorry Aurora.. but I don't want to be a father.... not now and not ever."I say walking towards the door. I open the door and turn around with my hand still on the door knob.

Aurora is staring down at the floor  with a hand on her stomach showing no emotion, My face alters a bit, It's like she knew what I was going to say but she didn't want to believe it.

"You and the baby are better off without me Aurora , you know I'm right."I say walking out of the room and leaving her.