Chapter 18: Oliver

Last Chapter recap - Janae

"I know but still. I'm your big brother, I'm supposed to protect you guys and I didn't. From now on we are not splitting up again." Oakley said angrily standing up and leaving the room.

————————————————————

Oakley stormed out of the room leaving just my sisters and me.

"I'll go talk to him, why don't you two stay here for a little bit?" Janae said and then left the room.

June was sitting in my lap silently sobbing into my arms.

"Junie, I am so sorry I let that happen to you. I should have gotten us out there the second those people showed up. They were trouble from the minute they approached us and I'm so sorry that they hurt you. I swear on my life that I will never let anything like that happen to you ever again. I will keep you safe." I told her.

"I know Ollie, thank you for saving me. I should have known better, you would never leave me like that." She said lifting her head up off of my shoulder.

"It's okay, you should have never had to worry about me leaving you in the first place. I should have gotten rid of those people as soon as they approached us."

"Well you didn't know what they planned to do Ollie, you can't blame yourself."

"Yes I can, Oakley specifically told us not to talk to anyone and to keep you safe and I failed him. If we would have never talked to the couple in the first place none of this would have happened."

I was very upset that I let my sister get hurt. It was my fault that she was hurt and has a handprint on her face.

"Okay Oliver, I'm putting an end to this conversation. We can't waste our lives wondering about the what if's and what we should have done. What's done is done and now it's time to move on. I'm fine now and I'll be okay. The marks will go away and all will be fine. Now I'm hungry so let's go find our twins and eat." She said getting off of me and pulling me into the kitchen.

We walked into the kitchen and found Oakley and Janae at the table talking quietly in a low whisper, they immediately stopped when we walked in.

"June's hungry," is all I said when we walked in.

"Well I think we all are, let me see what we have," Oakley said and opened up our bag that had our remaining food in it.

"We will have enough for tonight but I will need to go out tomorrow and get us some more food. We have plenty of money now and so this should be the only time we have to worry about this." Oakley said.

"How much money did we get?" I asked curious about it.

"Well, we got this apartment and 100,000 dollars," Oakley said with a smile, happy about what he got.

"Woah, so we did good," June says.

"Yeah, the man was kinda scary though so I wasn't sure if we were going to get ripped off or not," Janae said.

"What do you mean by scary?" I asked.

"Well it obviously wasn't as bad as the people that you and June ran into but he wasn't exactly the type of man I would want to see again. He kept making side comments about how pretty I was and how he wanted to take me with him for the night. He even offered money to spend the night with me." Janae said timidly, as she folded her arms across her body and held herself.

Oakley came up behind her and wrapped his arms over her.

"I'm sorry Janae, I shouldn't have let him get away with that."