19

Friday Pov

"Oh, great. I guess you can add 'thief' to your resume." Xavier said confusing me as we stopped.

"What?" I asked making them glance at me.

"I don't know what the big deal is about an old Nightshade's journal anyways." He said with a scoff.

"You didn't seem surprised when I showed you this last night." Wednesday said as I looked around.

"You've seen it before, haven't you?" I asked making him look at me.

"Yeah. A couple days before the Harvest Festival. It was open on Rowan's desk." He explained with a shrug. "I assumed he stole it after we kicked him out of the Nightshades. Then I confronted him about it, and he kind of went ballistic on me." He said making me realise that's what the vision was.

"He threw you against the wall with his telekinesis." I said not really paying attention.

"Yeah. How'd you know?" He asked confused.

"Your face." I said making his eye brows furrow. "Your an open book." I told him with a sigh.

"It's weird that one of you are in this." He said pointing at the page.

"Didn't realize that." I said sarcastically.

"This journal is like, what, 30 years old? What's Crackstone doing in the picture with you?" He asked surprising Wednesday.

"You know who that is?" Wednesday asked making me roll my eyes.

"Yeah, it's Joseph Crackstone." I said with a sigh.

"He's, like, Jericho's founding father. He's a big deal around here. Yeah, look. That's him." He said pointing at a poster.

"That's just great." I told him sarcastically.

"All right. Everyone take a seat. We have a special announcement." Principle Weems said once we was all rounded up.

"Welcome, welcome, Nevermore Academy." The Mayor said with a clear fake smile. "Now, on behalf of the entire Jericho community, we are so, so pleased to have you all here today." He started looking around. "Your generosity and hard work are truly... outreachous!" He said with a laugh. "Okay, everyone. We'll see you back here at one o'clock for lunch. Enjoy!" He said making me scoff.

"We sat down for no god damn reason." I told Wednesday as we walked passed the Mayor.

"Enid." Wednesday said hurrying over to her. "Switch volunteer assignments." She said holding out her envelope.

"What? No. Uriah's Heap is definitely not my bag." Enid immediately denied with a shiver.

"It's an emergency. I need to check out Pilgrim World." Wednesday told her as I sighed.

"But Wednesday, this is not a fair trade. Why would I agree to spend the entire day at some dumpy emporium of crapola?" She asked looking between us.

"Because Ajax is volunteering there. Thing sneaked a peek at his assignment." I told her with a shrug.

"But if your not interested." Wednesday said about to walk away.

"No!" Enid said practically snatching it put of her hands. "Oh my God, thank you. You're the best!" She squealed making me cover my ears.

"Welcome to Pilgrim World!" A woman said as we got there. "Witch trials every day! Two o'clock, four o'clock!" She called out making me cover my ears.

"Hey, Wednesday, Friday, want to grab a Hummers group photo?" Eugene asked making us glare. "Guess not." He said with a shrug.

"Good morrow, my young Nevermore kin." A woman called out. "I am Mistress Arlene. A real OC. Original colonist." She introduced herself. "Now prithee, put your cell phones on vibrate and make haste, for you are about to travel back in time to the year of our Lord 1625, to Jericho's first pilgrim settlement." She said making me put my hand up. "Yes?" She asked me annoyed.

"I can't put my phone on silent I'm waiting for a phone call some point today." I said making her sigh. "Don't sigh at me. I don't want to live with in my head." I snapped at her making Wednesday cover my mouth.

"Behold, the meeting house. Inside is a collection of artifacts related to Jericho's most beloved and pious founder, Joseph Crackstone. And beyond is our privy, America's first gender-neutral restroom." The woman said not saying anything to me.

"We haveth a query." Me and Wednesday said at the same time.

"Pray, be quick, child's." She said looking at us.

"In the meeting house, which of Joseph Crackstone's artifacts are on display?" We asked at the same time surprising her.

"It is truly a treasure trove, including original farm tools, tableware, even the Crackstone family chamber pot." She said getting over being surprised.

"Sounds fascinating. We volunteer to work in there." Wednesday told her making me look at her.

"Pray, no. That exhibit is being renovated." She said making me groan. "Today, thou will all be working at the beating heart of Pilgrim World." She said making me raise an eyebrow. "Ye olde fudgery!" She said making me roll my eyes.

"'Ye olde fudgery'." Eugene said excitedly.

"More like ye olde diabetes in a box." Me and Wednesday said at the same time.

"Volunteers, prick up thine ears. Fudge is the lifeblood of our humble community. And samples equal sales, so grab a uniform and a box and make our forefathers proud." The woman said coming back with a box. "Not you don't need blood all over it." She said looking at me.

"Are these for muzzling tourists?" Wednesday asked hold up a hat thing making me scoff.

"It goes on your head idiot." I whispered to her.

Me and Wednesday was stuck on speaking German to give out fudge. The woman only said to stay with Wednesday as we looked alike. She's stupid enough to not realise we're twins.

"Genießen Sie Ihren 'authentischen' Pilgerfondant aus Kakaobohnen, die von den unterdrückten Ureinwohnern des Amazonas beschafft wurden." We told them at the same time. "Alle Erlöse fließen in die Aufrechterhaltung dieser erbärmlichen Schönfärberei der amerikanischen Geschichte." We added on not amused. "Außerdem wurde Fudge für weitere 258 Jahre nicht erfunden. Irgendwelche Abnehmer?" We asked but they denied (Enjoy your 'authentic' pilgrim fudge made with cacao beans procured by the oppressed indigenous people of the Amazon. All proceeds go to uphold this pathetic whitewashing of American history. Also, fudge wasn't invented for another 258 years. Any takers?).

Let's say the woman wasn't happy with me or Wednesday so we went outside.

"Your not getting your stitches put today are you?" Wednesday asked making me scoff.

"I have like another day or two. Maybe even a week." I said with a laugh.

We turned to see Eugene being sick on some boy.

"Howdy, Pilgrims." Me and Wednesday said as a boy from the second day tried to close Eugene in the stocks.

"Let him go." Wednesday said as I watched.

"You want to end up in the stocks too?" The guy holding onto Eugene asked.

"Remember what happened the last time we did this dance?" I asked them with a raised eye brow.

"Get them!" A boy said pushing Eugene into the other two.

Wednesday took them down and had the boy who had Eugene in the stocks.

"Shame there isn't the blade that would chop off his head." I said looking at Wednesday. "Are you two still here?" I asked the other two who was standing there.

"Let's get you cleaned up." Wednesday told Eugene as I followed behind them.