Chapter 3: sonder

"—an epic story that continues invisibly around you like an anthill sprawling deep underground, with elaborate passageways to thousands of other lives that you'll never know existed"

⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘

𝑪𝒉𝒓𝒊𝒔

I'm coughing and generally feeling like a cold's coming on, Morgan, too, but I don't let it ruin the day.

It's the big day. Finally, right? Jesus Christ, I couldn't wait to get out of Penshaw!

Of course, though, my parents can't bear to part with me even after twenty-five years. So, I gave them the job of driving our vehicles and U-Hauls to New York that way they'd already be there once we land since our non-stop flight is only about four hours. Since I didn't want them to have a key, though, they're staying in a hotel near Main Street while they wait.

Cleo left for her flight much earlier than Morgan and I. She hasn't called or left me a dozen texts so I figure she's fine.

Morgan's been upset since we left for the airport this morning. No, since the going away party last night, actually.
She hasn't talked much and when she does, it's short and temperamental.

"Are you okay?" I ask her after we depart.

"Yeah, I'm fine," she answers, taking a seat on the public bench. "my head just hurts a little."

I wonder if that's just an excuse but don't voice it.

Instead, I offer my body for Morgan to lean on while we wait and let her know that she'll be able to rest soon.

"Why do we always match at the airport?" she laughs, noticing our grey sweatpants and pullover sets. I lazily pose for a video she's recording that I already knew was going straight to Jasmine and her Instagram story.

I chuckle to answer her question. "Because you copy me."

Time passes and I find my body aching more and more.

"I don't feel good." I say out loud, concerning Morgan.

"You're just tired," she says, bringing her arms around my neck and shoulders.

Morgan kisses my temple and says, "When we get to our new home you can rest-"

I don't mean to, but I shut her idea down with a quickness that makes her frown.

"I have stuff to do." The hesitation is long and breathy, I know she caught it and thinks I'm lying.

Thankfully, my parents pull up, yet for some reason, it's Mom driving Morgan's new white 2021 Lexus IS 350 F Sports car. A gift she bought herself with the dead man's money. I don't blame her for splurging, her Camry was shit and she deserved something nice after months of dealing with him.

"Hiiii!" My mother screams with excitement, parking the car.

I'm also thankful my girlfriend and mother have such a great relationship because it distracts Morgan from bringing up my plans for later that don't include her in or my parents.

Dad gets out of the passenger seat and hugs Morgan before helping her with the one suitcase and backpack she had.
He then greets me with a hug and a "you don't look so good."