Chapter 51: fever dream

"That's how envy can spoil safety. Envy makes us resent people who have something we don't have."

──────⊱⁜⊰─────
𝑴𝒐𝒓𝒈𝒂𝒏

"You get no respect in here! You see our moves and all our cheers. We know you think you are the best; but we gonna put you to the test!" The varsity cheer team claps back at the opposing squad.

When I unexpectedly stopped by The Vaughn's home and Carter asked me to come with him, I thought he meant for a ride to talk, not to a basketball game. I'm not complaining, though, it's kind of nostalgic.

The sea of people around me are all in blue and white to support their home team. On the other side of the gym, are people rooting for the visitors. This is a huge turn out for a high school sport, I think. If it weren't for Carter bringing me with him before the game started, I doubt I'd have a seat.

I toss some popcorn into my mouth and glance around at all the posters decorating the walls of the gym. Most of them are championship-winners, student-athletes who broke school or state records. Of course, I notice Chris's name on each banner for every sport he played from his freshman year to senior year. Basketball, obviously, he's in the 1,000+ points club, football state champ four years in a row as varsity team captain for three of them, and he played lacrosse junior and senior year after quitting outdoor track because it wasn't "competitive enough."

His face is plastered all around the school, name and records, too. He apparently contributed a lot to North Valley High School, left his mark so every class after has him to look up to. Mary and Carter have donated quite a bit to the athletic programs and have served on the PTA since he was in elementary school. I love how involved they all are.
Chris is, like, this school's Troy Bolton. I know how great he is— at, well, everything— but it's crazy to see for myself. These are his old stomping grounds, I'm even starstruck that I'm taking this all in. Like, he used to wander these halls, sit on the bleachers, and terrorize other teams on this very court.

I wonder what he was like back then. He always tells me he was a bad kid, attention-seeking due to Carter being in-and-out of his life. I'm sure he picked up his fair share of girls just because he could. Most of them probably cheered his name while sitting in the same spot as I am now.

It's just funny because I was your typical all-American blonde at my high school. Cheer captain, busty chest, super bubbly. Everyone loved me or loved to hate me, even my teachers. I was super close to the ones I liked. I made friends with everyone from the theatre and art kids to the football players, and even the horse girls.
I'm just wondering what it would've been like if Chris and I went to high school together. We'd be like Barbie and Ken, homecoming/prom king and queen. I'd cheer for him at every game and wear his jerseys to school on game days.

The mention of his name causes me to wipe the smile off of my face and see who's uttering it.

"—Chris Vaughn?! I remember him, oh my gosh!" One girl gasps. What are the odds.

It's a trio of ladies, they look like they're supposed to be my age but their genetics aren't favorable.
Judging by the clothes they're wearing, trying hard to look "hot" and on trend, I say they're in their mid to late twenties which makes sense as to why they remember Chris.

"He was so hot!" The blonde comments.

"He still is! I follow him on Instagram."

"Let me see. He unfollowed everyone when he got in a relationship."

"You think she made him do that? I hate girls like that, so insecure."

I laugh to myself and roll my eyes. They have no idea what they're talking about and it's sad.